cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Speed Increase, has anything Changed?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sudden Speed Increase, has anything Changed?

Hi, after a short period this morning of running slower than normal, my Uplink Speed has increased by about 1.5Mbps above my generally fixed normal speed. Have there been changes to my connection? Has my best possible speed increased? Have tried seeing if profile changed on BTW Performance Test but that's not working properly, it seems.
Pleased to see connected speeds I'd almost forgotten about.
4 REPLIES 4
steveuk
Grafter

Re: Sudden Speed Increase, has anything Changed?

It can go up and down on its own and its so random its annoying, since being with plsunet i was told i could expect upto 53mbps but in the real world i have never got anywere close to that and now i have been stuck at a max of 32mbps after seeing a good 3 months or more at 43mbps.
If it gets any slower i might aswell go back to ADSL2+
Glad to see you have had speeds go up rather than down and lets hope it stays like it for you.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Reaching the end of the day with speed still up there steveuk. If anything slightly faster. Keeping fingers crossed, won't be surprised to see it return to normal. Would like to know why just to stop me pondering it pointlessly!
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Long line? Perhaps physically something's been done to improve the link, or it's dried out a bit (you think I jest, but seriously... Water ingress is a huge problem for our shoddy copper network, particularly if you're on underground pairs).
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Chris. My line is.About 700 metres, mostly underground, emerges at pole 120 metres from home socket. Duct is wet generally, but we've had a hell of a lot of rain very recently, I can't see it becoming drier at the moment, and speed is faster than in summer. I'm sure that given attention speed could be much better, but not at the prices we pay, an engineer visit wipes out profit for some time. Since taking up FTTC I've had 6 engineer visits, although none for about 6 months. Each resulted in some change or other, whether all good, I don't know, but speed has been very stable until yesterday, when it dipped 30%  early on, then went faster than for a long time.