Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Improvement this morning?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sudden Improvement this morning?

This morning my IP profile has suddenly increased 5Mbps, the connected and maximum speeds on my router reflect this, and the ping on speedtest has dropped from 22ms to 11ms.

Speed at the PC is about 1.5Mbps faster only (so far). Something has changed, but my stats are not comprehensive enough to know what. I'm guessing the G.INP may have been activated or similar? I am not showing any break in connection overnight, but we seemed to lose all broadband at about 07:30 for three or four minutes today.

Hoping things improve further. Connected speed is too high for the distance to my cabinet, Openreach Engineer saw this at the last visit nearly 3 months ago, and took it up with tecchies who said it shouldn't be possible but agreed it was happening.

Broadband is difficult to predict, seemingly.

7 REPLIES 7
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: Sudden Improvement this morning?

Odd statistics on my Modem Router at the moment (TP-Link TD-W9980) showing Max Rate 57818 Mbps but Connected rate 58013, which can't be right, can it?

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@danludlow wrote:

Max Rate 57818 Mbps but Connected rate 58013, which can't be right, can it?

Yes it can. The 'max rate' is what the modem would negotiate if it connected this instant based on the kind of noise margin it would like to have and the noise levels it is currently detecting. Your connection speed is currently higher than that because there was less noise the last time you connected than there is now.

So the above stats mean that right now your modem has less of a noise margin than it would like but - for now - is managing to hang on anyway.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The max rate is a more or less meaningless number calculated by the modem, it is quite common to have higher sync speed, depending on the line conditions, interleave, G.Inp etc.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for explaining Andrue. I find broadband harder to grasp than most things, I have been used to a life involving voltages, and circuits, switching and similar in industry and those are far more predictable in my experience.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for explaining RealAleMadrid. I get the feeling that some of the limited data my modem router gives isn't really worth knowing, whilst what could be useful isn't gathered. I had an Asus previously that gave me more useful data but when it failed a few months outside warranty I couldn't bring myself to buy another one.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Today speed at the PC (wired but powerline adaptor) is even faster. The IP profile has increased to 56.4Mbps (for months it lingered at 47.11Mbps -Eau de Cologne, so easy to remember), and the pings remain at around 13ms, at least half of previous many months.

On a Speed test today the needle exceeded 52.4Mbps before returning a 50Mbps average. That's exceptional, my distance from cabinet suggests impossible. I keep thinking I'll wake up and find it was all a dream. Naturally I'm pleased as punch, but also puzzled.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Looks like DLM is giving you back some speed. Long may it continue:)