Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Drop in Upload Speed

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sudden Drop in Upload Speed

For months, (all this year?) my upload speed has been at 10Mbps or thereabouts, usually a tad above, very rarely below.

This morning it has dropped noticeably by over 25% to below 7Mbps. 

Ping time has increased from around 20ms to about 60ms.

What gives? Something has changed, seemingly overnight.

Is there a fault? Have I been re-routed to a slower server? Is there a fault with my connection?

I have disconnected and reconnected my modem, I have also rebooted my router this morning. Speeds are doggedly lower.

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: Sudden Drop in Upload Speed

I meant to add two screen shots that show this.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

For some reason it would not accept two screenshots together.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Upload speed returned to Normal after a day but this morning is back down, initially as slow as 5Mbps but mostly around 7Mbps. I realise that there's no obligation to deliver a speed as is the case with download (BTW Performance test has no red line for under performing upload), but upload is often an indicator of the connection's health isn't it?

Is there anything untoward on my line? Ping times seem greatly increased.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Line tests show an upstream line rate of just over 10mbps. 

Have you made sure you've tested this over a LAN connection as opposed to WiFi?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for replying Adamwalker.

Yes, tested over LAN, I usually use OOKLA, sometimes BTW Performance test (which seems to under rate compared to Ookla) I also used Ookla Beta Speedtest which seems to be more accurate. No test in the last few days has reached 10mbps Up, some get above 8Mbps, occasionally I get about 9Mbps, until recently 11Mbps or thereabouts has been the norm.

The original Ookla Speedtest has been telling me that my downspeed is at or below 20Mbps at times today but all other test apps show at least 43Mbps, I can only assume that there may be a fault with Original Ookla and perhaps this is responsible for bad readings? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and assuming speed drops that aren't that serious?

For many months I've been using my TP-Link TD-W9980 Modem Router in Router Mode only, but Ran it as a Modem router yesterday to see if that improved speeds. It made no difference other than I could see some connection statistics. I noticed that it had connected Annex A, a google suggested that BT use Annex B and so I set it to that, but I saw no noticeable difference.

I have since reconfigured to using it as a Router only connected to the original BTW Hauwei Modem (my Street cabinet is Hauwei). I figured that losing the statistics removes a concern. I was getting Maximum speed shown at less than connected speed, which has to be false doesn't it?

I also noticed that SNR (Down) started at about 9.0 but worked its way down over a couple of hours to 2.7 which also seems suspect.

What does your equipment say I'm getting?

Also, what is the correct Mode, Annex A, or Annex B?

Thanks for reading.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Update.My uplink speed increased suddenly to nearly 13Mbps about a week ago and has remained at the new speed ever since, unwaveringly. Something has changed to make this happen.Downlink speed is at its historical high. Speed drops worry me more than perhaps they should, Stability cheers.

Feeling Cheerful!