Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Drop In Speed

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Sudden Drop In Speed

As far as I am aware, no I'm afraid not. I don't believe we're advised which circuits are affected until we find out by testing it.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There is a mechanism for opting out. First question I'll ask is whether or not the OP is in the Dorset/Somerset area?

I've a hunch this is related to something else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@bobpullen im kind of somerset area but more north somerset previously known as Avon

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I am not in any trial area. Cos I am from Cuckoo Oak telephone exchange (there isn't any trial for 3dB SNR at present)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. Good chance you're on the trial in which case. I've a list knocking about somewhere so will be able to confirm next week.

Having said that, a lower target SNR would increase headline sync speed, not the adverse.

As mentioned, I think something else is at play. Will do some digging next week...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

My line had been quite stable on the 3db profile for almost 2 weeks then all of a sudden the speed just dropped around midday so don't think it was DLM causing it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In a roundabout way, I think it was. Let me get back to you next week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Looks like DLM has increased the speed slightly but it looks like im back on the 6db profile .

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen @Anoush Is there anymore info if my line was being trialed on the 3db profile though it appears to have gone back to the 6db profile again now .

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The evidence strongly suggests you were on the xDB trial, although you're not in my original list. I believe Openreach have loaded further circuits onto the trial since then though.

Your exchange and cabinet are both in the targeted area.

I think I witnessed first hand what happened to your line on one of my FTTC circuits at home (which incidentally was also included on the 3db trial):

Same time on Thursday my line dropped, latency doubled and I lost ~7mbps of sync:

My Broadband Ping - Halfway - Staff

It stayed like this for a couple of days before recovering after an outage Saturday morning. Me forcing a resync during the affected period had no influence on things:

My Broadband Ping - Halfway - Staff

The triggering factor looks to be a change in the underlying DLM policy for both of our lines that happened on Thursday.

In theory, it shouldn't have had such a negative impact, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of incompatibility issue with the 3db trial policy. I'll try and find out and make sure the necessary people are aware if it's not something that's already been flagged to them.

In the meantime, I've a feeling this is going to have removed you from the trial Sad 

I'll seek a definitive answer. Let me know if things recover on their own accord.

Edit: Looks like you're still on a 3db profile according to a GEA test. Do you know what you were in sync at prior to last Thursday? ~79mbps by any chance?

gea.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen This was my sync speed prior to thursday .

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. Trying to establish whether or not we can expect the target margin to creep back down again after time.

Will let you know when I get some answers...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Sorry to butt in on jamesanstee's thread but I had a similar increase in latency /reduced synch for a couple of days followed by a recovery, last week.

I see my Somerset exchange is in the 3dB trial:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19380.msg342998.html#msg342998

Bob, could you please advise if my circuit was on the trial?

Thanks

Richard

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen Just had a re-sync , sync speed is slowly creeping back up to 70 but home hub is still showing it as a 6db profile though from your check the other day it was still showing as the trial 3db  Capture.PNG

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RichardB, what cabinet/exchange are you connected to?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team