Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Drop In Speed

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Sudden Drop In Speed

This morning my line speed has taken a sudden drop for almost 2 weeks my line has been stable obviously with this sudden drop in speed i did a quiet line test and line was nice and clear ,so now im not sure what has caused this sudden drop in speed.

50 REPLIES 50
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Sudden Drop In Speed

Hmm, just yesterday when I tested your line you were on a 3db profile getting around 75Mb.

It could be possible that the drop you experienced caused DLM to make changes to the profile.

I'm not in work at the moment, what's your speed estimate showing at www.dslchecker.bt.com?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

This is what the bt wholesale checkers shows for my line.

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Is there any fault showing on my line that may have triggered the DLM 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've tested your line and I'm not identifying the cause of this. The profile the test is showing is actually still 3db. Seems that it's not as much as DLM causing this, but something else impacting the speed.

As the downstream sync is currently below your estimates I'd advise to try the test socket if you haven't already: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

And then raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 59.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 17.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 496.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Have just tried via the test socket and speed still seems the same i should be on the 80/20 unlimited fiber is this still the case .

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yeah the product is still 80/20. In this case I'd recommend raising a fault as we'll likely need to arrange an engineer to investigate this.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

I cant see anything else that would be causing the drop though i don't think openreach would look into it as according to the checker it's within there estimates therefore an engineer charge would be applied,

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hmm, when I checked half an hour ago before I left the office you were below the Clean estimate range.

Are you looking at the Impacted when you go to www.dslchecker.bt.com?
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Impacted range says 67 high and 37 low  

Clean range is 80 high & 61.8 low

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The downstream sync is below the clean estimates so we'll be able to raise a fault to BT wholesale.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

I'll give it a few days see if DLM increases it although i can't hear any noise on the line after doing quiet line test from the test socket ,if it's no different by midweek then i shall raise a fault ticket.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Good plan.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I know Openreach are trialling 3db profiles in select areas i wonder if the OP is in one such area.

I believe if the 3db profile causes a problem it should automatically go back to a 6db one but i'm not sure if that is a immediate thing and it failed to do so, or it's something that happens over time.

If indeed it is a trial there might not be anything the OP can do as it would be in the hands of Openreach to sort out in the time frame they have laid out for the trial, Plusnet could let them know something is up but whether they would act on it i don't know. 

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

is there a way to option out (3dB trial by BTOpenreach) ?