cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substandard service moving from BT to Plusnet

chipxtreme
Dabbler

Substandard service moving from BT to Plusnet

I switched to pluset on the 5th. With BT and Smart Hub I was synched at 69.82 down and 16.49mb up. I never experienced a single issue with BT, no slowdowns at any time ever, regularly got 8MB/sec downloads.

I'm using the BT router with Plusnet and it initially synched at 54.74mb down but 2 days ago re-synched to 56.17mb. Losing 20% of my speed is completely unacceptable! What makes it an even bigger kick in the teeth is i'm not even maxing out my connection most the time. I just downloaded a file off usenet which always maxed out my connection with BT and only got around 2MB/sec for the whole download which is a quarter of what I got with BT. Disgusting!

Technically i'm still in the training period but if this doesn't get fixed I'm not staying with you.

20 REPLIES 20
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Substandard service moving from BT to Plusnet

Hi, the issue Could be down to your move from BT to Plusnet, in doing so DLM gets reset and any settings that were applied be it G.INP and or a 3db SNR would be switched off, it's a case of waiting for DLM to re-apply G.INP and or 3db to the line again as to how long this takes is down to DLM it's a automated process for some it's days others it's weeks best to leave things alone and hopefully you wont have to wait too long.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Just thought I would mention that there is no training period for a fibre connection. Your connection will be set at max from the start. As Terranova667 said. It looks like the DLM has reset to an SNR of 6db
chipxtreme
Dabbler

Well I rang up twice yesterday, was told that 3db SNR was nothing to do with fibre, only ADSL but he had fixed a few issues at his end, give it a few hours and it should be sorted. Gave it 7 hours, nothing changed, tried resetting the router which then resynched at 54.93 Mbps and nothing has changed.

Rang back and one of his suggestions was to change the wifi channel to fix the sync speed!!! I was absolutely gobsmacked that nonsense like this came out of a supposedly trained technician. Yes that might help people having speed issues with connecting to the router, which I don't have as none of my immediate neighbours have wifi but has diddly squat to do with the sync speed to the cabinet.

He's logged it as a fault, told him i'm not accepting any fees as this is not my fault, absolutely nothing at all inside house has changed, the only change is the supplier. My phone automatically records phone calls so if anything does come of it, the conversation will be passed to OFCOM!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@chipxtreme wrote:

Well I rang up twice yesterday, was told that 3db SNR was nothing to do with fibre, only ADSL

Welcome to the forum.

The person  you spoke to was not a technician. Unfortunately you obviously spoke to some-one who hasn't been trained as this statement is totally wrong.

I fear that if you do a BT Speedtest  (http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/) you may find that BT consider your speed to be in the acceptable range, but check. If this is the case then there is no point in making a formal compaint. I understand that you see your line stats if you log into your router (192.168.1.254) and go to Troubleshooting\Helpdesk. Post the results on here if you need help with their interpretation.

If you were previously with BT have you got a Smarthub 6? If so this has superior performance to the Plusnet offering. The Plusnet Hub One is a BT Home Hub 5A in a different coloured case and tweeked firmware.

A Smart Hub 6 or Home Hub 5A/B will work with Plusnet. Full instructions on how to set them up can be found in the Router forum.

With a little patience and possibly a little self help this will probably resolve itself. I know it is frustrating but keeping your cool will get results just as quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chipxtreme
Dabbler

Yes I have the homehub 6, I don't need any help setting it up, it is running fine with plusnet except at a 20% speed loss.

Plusnet appear to be absolutely useless, I really 100% regret leaving BT for these clowns.

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

They are the same and use same equipment?

chipxtreme
Dabbler

Yes, absolutely NOTHING has changed at my end, same router, wires, laptop, etc. ONLY difference is plusnet supplying the substandard internet connection.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Like I said in my previous post. It's just a case of waiting for the DLM to profile your line to a SNR of 3 dB.. a SNR is for both ADSL and fibre.
chipxtreme
Dabbler

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/f80aeb70-fef4-11e7-80a4-7d8ee6e5b5d8

My internet speed is shocking. Been buffering all day, did this speed test and i'm disgusted. This is my peak speed, BT never limited me at any time of day.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

I don't recall you posting the details of what BT think your line is capable of but (I'm guessing) those speeds must be below the threshold for action. If this was my connection I would run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

It is possible that one of the Plusnet staff will pick up your posts and run tests but running the checks yourself makes sure that Plusnet are aware of your problem and gets the problem into the queue for action.

chipxtreme
Dabbler

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/9f694150-ff63-11e7-9951-853ceada606f

Speed test now which is about right for sync speed, but still well below what my line is capabale of.

When I joined BT as I moved into my house last April I went for 52mbps infinity 1, which BT said my minimum speed would be 52Mb, they later gave me a free speed boost which was already done by the time I got the e-mail. It initially synched at 72mbps but later dropped to just under 70mbps and stayed at that speed right up until I switched to plusnet.

I checked the e-mail and Plusnet have guaranteed me a minimum speed of 49mbps, which i'm not getting most the time.

I've logged into router and now getting

6 dB / 5.3 dB

So hopefully that keeps dropping to 3dB and I get my full 70mbps speed, but that won't fix the speed capping at peak times.

Razer
Grafter

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Was getting 80 down with BT, now currently synched at around 59 on 6.2dB (was a paltry circa 54 at 6dB when I switched and it took several days to shift from that). I'm not even 1 month into my contract and still the rubbish synch, so they want it that way, fine, I'll be leaving PN as soon as possible. Good luck to you if you get anywhere.
oneinnit
Hooked

I can report I have seen the same drastic cut in speed since migrating from BT to plusnet.

My 80/20 line was syncing consistently at 70/16 with BT for about 5 years.

When I transferred to plus.net in January it synced it 64mb and has now dropped to 50mb and is stuck there. It's been three weeks now

I am below the minimum guarantee at 50mb but I'm giving it a bit longer to see anything improves.

chipxtreme
Dabbler

Well I rang them up again today and aparantly i'm connected to a "hot vlan", i'm told they are going to see if they can switch me to another vlan at the exchange but he claims that i'd have the same issue with any other ISP. Strange how the day before change over and every day before that it was working 100% fine. Awfully convenient coincidence....

I have to wait until Wednesday to find out if they can do anything about it as initially he said a fix may take up to 2 months!!!

Completely unacceptable!