Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on Wrong Profile / Connection Speed Stuck

FIXED
mcurnow
Dabbler

Stuck on Wrong Profile / Connection Speed Stuck

I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra package but my connection speed seems to be limited to 41Mbs down - this is what it shows on the PlusNet connection speed page and when I do a speed test (wired). When I look at my connection status, it shows 49.0Mbs down/15.66Mbs up. My upload speed matches the connection speed - 15.45Mbs.

I opened a fault last week with PlusNet but nothing has happened - no response.

My downstream noise margin is 9.8dB. My understanding is that with VDSL this should be 6dB (if not 3dB), which is what it shows for upstream. 

It looks to me that PlusNet need to change something on my profile for my connection to be made at the fastest available speed. How else do I get through to them?

Is it worth phoning?

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Stuck on Wrong Profile / Connection Speed Stuck

Sorry to hear this.

Our tests aren't showing any cause for this and everything is set as it should be

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcurnow
Dabbler

I raised a fault with PlusNet last Tuesday & haven't had a response, so no point me trying to do it again.

Also, the fault wizard you sent me to seems to only deal with no connectivity, which is not the case. You almost have to lie to a lot of the questions to get to the point where you can actually state what the problem is.

Thanks though for saying the connection looks OK your end.

But it does seem strange that the Upload speeds re-train to a better speed, but not download. 

Think I will try phoning.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @mcurnow, I am really sorry that your fault hasn't been picked up yet. 

I have had a look into the account and testing shows you are in sync at 48.9mbps, you are banded at 49mb.

Checking the connection it looks like this has been caused by the high number of dropouts. We can arrange for a reset to try and increase the profile, but there is a good chance that the frequent drops will return. 

I have raised this to the suppliers for further investigation but in the meantime can you make sure you are connected to the test socket. We will let you know once we have an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mcurnow
Dabbler

Lauren,

thanks for looking into this for me. Prior to 12th of August I was using your Hub One modem & that kept disconnecting. That is why there is so many disconnects, it wasn't a line fault issue (my ADSL connection prior to VDSL switch would stay connected for weeks/months).

I replaced the Hub One with one I purchased and I then got 6 days of running with no disconnect. So the disconnects must haven caused by the equipment you supplied, not a line problem. When I used the new modem my upload speed immediately increased from 9Mbs to the current 15.5Mbs. However the download speed has not improved - its still at 41Mbs which seems to match exactly what I see when I look at the PlusNet "stable rate" page:

Phone exchange: CROPREDY

Estimated line speed:72Mb (This may vary between 51Mb and 72Mb) - Checked on 2017-12-16 13:23:55

Current line speed:41.2 Mb

Why does your page show 41.2Mb when the sync speed is 49Mbs? The fact I get a 41Mbs download speed test result makes it seem to me that there is something in the system holding the connection back. If not, why are showing 41.2Mb? 

When I check my modem it shows a connection speed of 49Mbs - the same as you quote. But a speed test only gets to 41Mbs download (via ethernet). My modem is plugged directly into the VDSL socket of the BT master socket. The noise margin is showing as 9.70dB, so it looks as if there is scope for my connection to support a faster download speed.

So, it is back to you. I have done all I can my end.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The speeds have been lowered due to DLM (dynamic line management) reducing speeds because of the connection drops. We now need to focus on resolving that and the speeds will increase again too. 

We've got the fault logged with our suppliers and we should be able to update you over the coming few days. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mcurnow
Dabbler

Well, PlusNet finally got around to adjusting the profile. I am now seeing a 60Mbs downstream connection speed but a download speed test is still stuck on 40Mbs. If I am getting 60Mbs steady connection, surely I should be able to get a download speed somewhere near to it?

To recap, my line connection speed has increased from 42Mbs to 60Mbs, but the internet download speed is still stuck on 41Mbs. I am connecting via the master socket & using Ethernet to do the tests. See the attached BT Wholesale test. I tried another speed testing site and that reported a similar result: 41Mbs down, 15.5 up.

So is there something in PlusNet or BT Wholesale that is capping my speed?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

It looks like the profile on our end was set incorrectly.

I've just given this a kick for you and you should be seeing higher speeds.

Let us know if you haven't see a a increase

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcurnow
Dabbler

Matthew,

thanks for looking into this for me. I've just re-tested and confirm I'm getting 60Mbs download speeds via a speed test app. I'm glad I kept pestering about this - earlier responses said there was nothing wrong!

I'll re-check over the next few days to ensure the connection & speed remains stable.

Regards