cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP Profile?

mwt1974

Stuck IP Profile?

The speed re-grade from the 40/20 to the 55/10 product caused me to check my VDSL2+ connection stats which I haven't checked in quite a while.

Looking at my router stats it looks like my IP profile / the DSLAM is stuck around 35 mbps. The DSLAM max rate used to be 80 mbps but is now set to 35 mbps down for some reason.  The current attainable throughput is indicated as 39089 kbps. See previous and current router screenshots below.

VDSL2 Broadband line speed after move.PNG

Router connection stats.PNG

I have checked the BT wholesale availability and test websites. It looks like my IP profile is stuck at 33 mbps.

BT Wholesale test.PNGBT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER.PNG

Looking back through my SamKnows (Ofcom) broadband monthly speed test reports it looks like the receive direction speed was reduced around the 29th of May 2016 for some reason. See May and June download speed test report screen shots below

.SamKnows May report.PNGSamKnows June report.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Stuck IP Profile?

The IP profile is governed by the sync rate between the router and cab, as this is at 350006 the profile of 33000 is correct.

Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mwt1974

Re: Stuck IP Profile?

Hi thanks for the quick response. 

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the stuck IP profile in the subject heading and I didn’t make myself clear enough in my post. I realise that the IP profile will be set slightly below the current sync rate of the line.

The issue / question is why has the maximum possible sync rate of my line at the DSLM (CAB) end been reduced down from 80 mbps (which it has been at for around 1.5 years) to 35 mbps? Should that not be 55 mbps instead of 35 mbps?

The router always used have a data rate of around 36 mbps with a reported maximum achievable sync of 37 mbps but now the router is reporting a maximum achievable sync of 39 mbps but with a data rate of 34 mbps (a difference of around 4 mbps). Every time I reset the router now it won’t achieve a data rate / sync higher than 34mbps. Please refer to the router screenshots in my original post for clarification. The router is a Fritzbox 7490 running the latest firmware.

It looks as if a limit of 35 mbps has been manually set on the DSLM / CAB slide to prevent my router / line from syncing at a higher line speed than 35/34 mbps? Could this change have been made to try and reduce the number of errors occurring on the line at a higher than 35 mbps sync speed / rate, or could it be a BTOR engineer typo / mistake which set the max sync accidently to 35 mbps instead of the correct 55 mbps for the new 55/10 product?