Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streams stuttering / buffering

mikedoh
Grafter

Streams stuttering / buffering

Hi, 

Hope you can help or advise, everything has been fine with plusnet up till a couple of weeks ago. Ive always been  able to stream fine, amazon prime etc but recently its constantly lagging. Like it plays 5 seconds fine then stops then plays another 2 minutes then lags again.

Ive checked my connection speeds and i still get 79.9MB down and 20MB up.

Do i need to get my line checked? Normal browsing seems ok but im paying for services that are unwatchable at the moment.

Thanks

Mike

PS. i should add im using an amazon fire TV box with ethernet into router, i also tried wifi and that has the same issue.

33 REPLIES 33
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Streams stuttering / buffering

Shouldn't happen on the speed you're getting. Are you using Netflix?
Excellent!
mikedoh
Grafter

Tried netflix and amazon prime.

I thought it was my Fire TV box so i plugged in my old fire tv stick and the same happens, its like it cant keep up with the buffer and sticks then catches up again.

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you tried any others like YouTube?
Excellent!
br043871
Grafter

Is it ok during the day and problematic at night?
legume
Rising Star

FWIW youtube may use a different sort of TCP so it's possible that it is OK where most things aren't in the face of packet loss.

I am still able to get TCP connections that are good and bad as per the thread I started.

The bads are due to packet loss, but it isn't on my line, and the one youtube CDN I tested is immune to packet loss - I don't know if all youtube CDNs are the same.

So if youtube works and netflix/others don't, it doesn't mean that the issue can be pinned on netflix/whoever rather than Plusnet/something else.

stevem001

exactly the same for me. Helpdesk no use at all. Maybe stop them reading scripts from the screen?

mikedoh
Grafter

no its all the time, during the day and at night.

When streaming i can see the buffer, it starts off full and slowly empties, then catches up again. It inst just one source though so i cant see it being that, its like a routing issue or something. Like i said its only started happening in the last 2 weeks.

My parents who are on the same cab but a different provider by the way but on BT (not fibre) can view all the streams perfect.

OryxCallotis
Grafter

This happens with me too, but only for Twitch.

cwaite
Rising Star

Yes same for me too started 2 weeks ago and only happens in the evening, curiously it seems ok if I use a VPN, plusnet are applying their traffic management on streaming, strange considering I am on a package that doesn't have traffic management, but I think I remember reading they will apply it if their network usage becomes too high.

mikedoh
Grafter

Well I’m on the top package aswell that shouldn’t have traffic management, it was even worse last night.

I think I have 3 months left with plusnet, if it doesn’t improve I guess back to BT
OryxCallotis
Grafter

For me, Twitch buffers constantly at any time. It's 4:30am and it still buffers a lot, have to assume it's a Twitch issue.

len0x

I second this issue and that VPN solves the problem where its allowed (amazon/Netflix don't). Even heavy websites are loading with delays(again perfect with VPN) so I recon this can't be traffic shaping, just some sort of capacity issues somewhere very upstream, so no chance of actually forcing PN do anything about it... it's realty weird that VPN is ok, in fact a couple of other protocols are working at maximum speed for me as well, just not the most common ones...
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I use Netflix and haven't any issues like buffering etc, says him holding a big plank of wood! Are you on a static IP? Might be congestion etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
mikedoh
Grafter

not on a static IP. I did install a vpn client (digibit) and all started working which leads me to think plusnet is most definitely traffic managing in a bad way. A response would be nice.