Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming slow

wadavie1975
Hooked

Streaming slow

Hi All,

Firstly, all I wanted to do with this is send an email to plusnet support but that does not seem possible as all I can do is an online chat which is now closed or phone, which I cannot be bothered with going through all the suggestions just now.

I have had plusnet for about a year now and it has been good for most of that time.  The past month or so has seen a drop in performance for streaming.  Every time I do a speed test it is fine, above 30Mbps (my package is 38Mbps).

Streaming services were fine to begin with but are getting slower.  Now they either buffer or just reduce the quality.

What have you done to my streaming plusnet?

Wayne

15 REPLIES 15
jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

Re: Streaming slow

I'm getting exactly the same problem..  my FTTC is the same as yours and lucky if I can run a YouTube video !!

I wonder if Plus.net support will investigate and we get a reply.. ?

Jez

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi , well as you have found there is NO Email for Plusnet , The chat has been disabled hopefully its partially back tomorrow so your only option is holding on the phone 30mins + .

The first thing is are your testing via wifi or wired ? 

Ps the staff here are good and is the best way to contact them at the moment

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
wadavie1975
Hooked

Hi,

Good question about wired or wifi which I forgot to mention in my original post.  My smart TV is wired to the router.  My PS4 is using wifi but is less than a metre from the router.  Then there is my mobile phone which is using wifi at any location in the house.  All devices are affected in the same way with the streaming buffering or just bad quality.

It used to be so good.

I had non-fibre PlusNet years ago with no problems and hence the reason for coming back for Fibre.  I am 50% of the way through my term but at the moment will not be renewing.

I had BT before and never had these problems even though it was more expensive.  I would rather pay more to not have these problems.

Wayne

jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

I have wired and wifi pc's and other devices connected and ALL are having the same issues with speed..

I have tried 3 routers / FIbre Modems including PlusNet's own one and the BT modem.. all connect at 30Mbps but stream from the web so slowly..  

This has got to be a server issue at PlusNet...

I am thinking of changing back to my old ISP, as I know they are swift to deal will issues like this..

My Kids are doing my head in and we have another week of School holidays to go.....

Please PlusNet sort this out...

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

Line tests don't indicate any problems at all.

Would you be able to try out a different router just so we can entirely rule that out?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wadavie1975
Hooked

Hi,

I don't have another router to try but someone has already replied to this thread to say they are having the same problem and have tried different routers.

I would expect the line to show no problems as I get a good line speed and normal internet surfing is fine.  It is only the streaming service that is not fine. I suspect this is being slowed down by the plus net servers.

Regards

Wayne

wadavie1975
Hooked

Hi,

If you really do want to rule out the router then feel free to send me a new router so that I can try it out.

Regards

Wayne

jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

I have tried a Draytek 2860 VDSL router and a BT modem all still streaming slow..

Jez.

jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

Further Testing...

All speed test's pass at correct speeds..  Downloading and uploading files work fine and at correct speeds.

The issue is when using social media / streaming / Gaming sites..  These either don't load or time out all the time on whatever device I am using  wired or Wifi  Xbox or PC or Phone..

The would seem to be to be a contention issue or routing band width limits issue.....

Any ideas why... ?

Regards

Jez

wadavie1975
Hooked

Hi,

This is the same problem as I am having so thanks for joining this thread and for doing extra testing.

Wayne

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've checked the SVLAN report and there are no signs of overutilisation at the exchange.

Is your router connected into the master socket?

Which streaming sites are you having problems with?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wadavie1975
Hooked

Hi, 

My router is connected into the master socket.

I am having issues with Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, ITVPlayer.  Basically, all of them.

Wayne

jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

router is plugged into the master socket, no interference, have tried with all other devices removed..

Have tried different routers..

As I say download and upload speeds are fine..

It's purely :-

Facebook ( times Out)

YouTube (Buffers)
Xbox 1 and 360 disconnects from online games all the time..

If I tether my laptop to my mobile i can watch Youtube smoother than your FTTC internet access !!

I am currently connected using one of your supplied routers

Jez

jezsuttonuk
Dabbler

Nothing has been posted due to the service coming back to normal for a few days but now it is back to the painful slow mode..

I can't even play any online games on my Xbox as it disconnects from the server before the games start !!

I am really thinking of going back to my old ISP and phone supplier as this is pants !

Jez.