Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Live Radio PROBLEM

figgley
Grafter

Streaming Live Radio PROBLEM

Well, this new fibre connection is fine and dandy EXCEPT:

I'm used to streaming radio 24/7, via wireless g through an n router, and never had a problem on 2Mb/s ADSL; the connection would never falter but others on this network probably were cursing me.

Now, through the same g wireless card connected to the Hub One (with 5GHz disabled), I, periodically, lose the stream with plenty of squealing/squelching ensuing from the speakers.

The only way to restore the stream is to restart browser/reset station in the radio player.

Should I be looking at browser settings, DSL filter, wireless settings, something else ....?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers, figgley

11 REPLIES 11
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Streaming Live Radio PROBLEM

Have you checked what other routers in your area have their wifi channels set to?

If not, go near to where you stream the radio from, use a wifi analyser and see what channel gives you the least congestion but the best signal. It's worth bearing in my something called wifi overlap.

Then go to the router and manually change the channel - doing this manually also turns off smart wifi, which from experience isn't that smart.

figgley
Grafter

@DS

I did all the research BEFORE fibre connection went live.

Hub One was set to channel 13 the day it arrived and that was five days before we were hooked up Smiley

Any other ideas?

Ta.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hub One was set to channel 13 the day it arrived

That's very very odd!!Shocked It, by default of having smart wifi enabled, should only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Back when using a BT Home Hub, which this hub is basically a BTHH5a with PN bells n whistles, I had similar issues when going above channel 11 (I used 13 too, thinking I was being cocky but suffered from what you've mentioned in your first first post).

Might be worth a punt at 1, 6 or 11 and see if it drops.....

figgley
Grafter

Sorry. I meant to say I manually set the router to use channel 13 because I'd already clocked what the neighbours' routers were doing.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If the device playing the stream is Android based, they used to have issues with anything over channel 11, so as said move it to 11 and try it.
I stream to pi's (openelec)*2 (one wifi one wired) and an android tv box, with no problems.
figgley
Grafter

@HairyMcbiker

This is a Vista laptop *sniggers*

I'll try dropping the router to another channel. I only chose 13 because, according to inSSIDer, there was no overlap with any other local wirelesses.

Laters, figgley

DS
Seasoned Champion

a quick fwiw, 13 also suffers from wifi overlap. 1, 6 or 11 are the only ones that do not overlap each other.

WiFi Overlap.JPG

(nowt wrong with Vista either, still be on it myself if I'd not ruined my other (retired) laptop on another lithium forum!!)

figgley
Grafter

@DS

Hmm - I've seen that graphic somewhere before but thanks anyway.

According to inSSIDer http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html, on channel 13, MOST of the time I'm overlapped by the FEWEST channels and, therefore, should be in rude health. My neighbours' *smart* wireless settings occasionally throw them, partially, across my *secret and coveted* channel but, without knocking on doors and demanding to poke around in their settings, I can live with that. Is it channel 13 that is causing these annoying glitches? It seems to happen only with streamed radio. DOES the 'link score' in inSSIDer mean anything or is it just an algorithm searching for a problem that doesn't exist? Questions, questions ...... figgley

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's better to be on the same channel as other networks rather than half-overlap.

Wifi analyser software doesn't show everything, it doesn't show how heavily used each other network is, it doesn't show non-wifi interference, it doesn't show the signal strength of transmissions from devices on each network, only from the wireless router. It's actually better to just try different channels and pick whichever works best.

figgley
Grafter

@ejs

"It's better to be on the same channel as other networks rather than half-overlap."

Oh, really?

Thanks for that.

figgley

*Shouts to Graham in the next room*  I'M ABOUT TO CHANGE CHANNELS SO TELL YOUR NEW INTERNET GIRLYBOYFRIEND TO COME BACK IN A FEW MINUTES

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@figgley wrote:

Is it channel 13 that is causing these annoying glitches? It seems to happen only with streamed radio.

Some while ago I too thought it would be smart to use ch 13, for the reasons you have outlined.

Everything worked fine, except for my Pure Sensia 200D internet radio, where streaming was flaky. Any channel from 1 to 12 was OK.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)