Re: Stranger and Stranger

OK - probably best to leave it, then.

John
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Woop Woop!!! yay that is awesome @BobR1, I would love to take credit but it was not me Sad

The agent changed your speed profile and  the router just needed a quick reboot to register the change.

Give me a nudge if you need any further help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BobR1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@SammyM 

There is an unanswered question though - why was the speed profile wrong? What was it set at and what was it changed to?

Much as I welcome the fix I think Plusnet owes me an explanation.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @BobR1, thanks for getting back to us. It looks like it was the connection profile on the account that was incorrect and now been amended.

It wasn't wrong, it's something updated/ amended by the system itself to speeds in line with your sync speed. It looks like it dropped to 40mb on the 18th (your sync speed was 60mb on the 17th) and the sync speed can back up on the 21st, after which point the profile was manually changed.

I have provided a further response on your open ticket in terms of progressing the issue being seen with the drops occurring Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
BobR1
Rising Star

And the saga continues which is mystifying to both me and the Plusnet people trying to help, plus an OpenReach engineering visit that confirms the connection is in good shape

Occasionally the connection continues to drop but is immediately restored in about 90 seconds.

At the moment I'm more puzzled by examples where the connection stays up but there is a significant momentary blip. For example, this morning the downstream SNRM was chugging along at 8.5dB or thereabouts [which I think is high but it is what it is] and suddenly it drops to 2dB before immediately recovering. Momentarily there is a corresponding increase in Serious Error Seconds from zero in the preceding 90 minutes of monitoring to 12 before it returns to zero.

Anybody else see something similar?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

The issue you report could be caused by noise on the phone line. Do you have a Master Socket 5c?

From my experiences of the 5c the faceplate does not always make a good connection and introduces crackling to the line. I find I need to reseat the faceplate occasionally. 

If you have a landline phone you can check if the faceplate connection is good by calling 17070 use option 2 Quiet Line Test (QRT), with the call in progress tap and waggle the faceplate and see if you get any noise on the call.

Another test would be to connect to the test socket behind the faceplate, you will need a inline ADSL/VDSL filter.

Have you looked at using http://dslstats.me.uk/index.html which should work on your modem. You can set up a 24 hour monitor to view the modem performance and view SNRM, you will a windows PC which can be left on.

HTH

Dan.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @BobR1,

I am really sorry to hear that the issue is still ongoing after the engineer visit and for the inconvenience this is causing.

I'd like to compare what you are seeing to what I can see on my side. How many drops in your connection have you seen over the last 7 days?

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BobR1
Rising Star

Hi SammyM, only three drops in the last 7 days but the first at 12:16  on 28 Feb was a product of the OpenReach engineer's activity. That leaves only two as follows:

28 Feb 19:16 and 03 Mar at 18:26

In each case it re-connects in 1M 15-30secs.

I would say that is better than in some of the recent past but the cause of the drop still escapes me.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @BobR1, its not unusual for the line to drop due to many causes, but if the drops in crease to 3 within 24 hours or 5 with 72 hours this would indicate an issue with the line itself.

Please can you keep an wye on it and if the drops in crease come back to me.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BobR1
Rising Star

@SammyM

Firstly, as thing stand I am currently monitoring the status of the connection as a matter of course whenever my PC is switched on. I will now also check the router log regularly to monitor the behaviour of the connection during the remainder of each 24 hour period.

Secondly, The OpenReach engineer who ran the tests on 28 February confirmed the line was in good shape.

Thirdly, to the best of my memory it has never been common for the drops to reach the threshold you specify.