Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stranger and Stranger

FIXED
BobR1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Stranger and Stranger

The issue in my "This is NOT acceptable" post remains unresolved. But there is now something really weird.

If I run the BTW speedtest I get a download speed of 38.22 Mbps, which is far less than I am accustomed to. However the associated Performance Test Report [attached] mentions a maximum achievable downstream speed of 71.85Mbps. 

My DSLstats monitoring produces statistics that are in the same ballpark.

I've just had a very long conversation with a Plusnet person who tried to help but the actions she took don't appear to have had any effect.

Frankly, I'm lost on how to proceed.

Am open to any advice from those in the community more expert than me..

39 REPLIES 39
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Stranger and Stranger

@BobR1 Can you post your Help Desk page from the Hub? Something doesn't look right with that information.

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

HI, sorry I don't know what you are asking me for and I don't recognise "the hub" - what is it?.

I entirely agree with you however that something is not right.

It might need an engineer to look at it - that seems to be the direction that the Plusent support people are taking now.

jab1
Legend

@BobR1 I mean your modem/router. Assuming it is a 'Hub1' log into it and find the page shown below:

Hub1.PNG

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

Oh right - I get where you are coming from now. Your assumption is incorrect I don't use hardware supplied by Plusnet.

But I've attached the data from my Zyxel router. It's from the closedown last night but it hasn't changed at logon this morning

jab1
Legend

@BobR1 OK, sorry for my incorrect assumption about your kit. That data indicates there is absolutely no problem with the connection to your Master Socket - all figures are spot on.

Next couple of questions: Do you turn the Zyxel off every night? Are you doing the BTW test over ethernet or wireless?

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

I do NOT turn my router off it runs 24/7/365 unless there is an interruption.

I normally NEVER run speedtests using wifi - ALL THE DATA YOU HAVE SEEN SO FAR IS VIA ETHERNET CABLE CONNECTED.

However out of curiosity I ran a wifi connected Ookla speedtest from a Samsung tablet this morning and the speeds attained were around 38Mbps. Only very minor differences were observed.

jab1
Legend

Again, OK, @BobR1 - I only asked the question because many users run tests over Wi-Fi, and you could have been one of them.

The reason I asked whether you had turned your equipment off is because your router data only showed an uptime of 5 hours 50 minutes, which was strangely co-incidently in line with the time of your post. If you do not turn the router/modem off, that indicates that you had a DSL disconnection around midnight.

Does the Zyxtel have any connection logs available?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@BobR1 as @jab1 says from the router stats there doesnt seem to be much wrong with your basic line speed.

However I notice from your other post that you have a static IP

If you login to your member centre and select the 'Broadband' tab, what does it say for 'Current Line Speed' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Good thought. Another thing that struck me a couple of minutes ago - the reported BT test results almost suggest @BobR1 is on a 40/10 profile at the Plusnet end, or am I misreading it?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 it definitely looks like there's a profile limit somewhere. The BT speedtest shows the correct profiles though and AFAIK the Plusnet profiles only limit the downstream.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for confirming, @MisterW . Still a bit mystified about the reported DSL uptime and the OPs original post time this morning - coincidental?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Actually , looking at those router stats again, whilst the downstream sync is OK, the upstream is only just above 10Mb, which seems a bit low.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Yes, you are correct, as I spotted that earlier, but was more focussed on the BTW result which looks almost like a well-performing 40/10 circuit.

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@MisterW 

Sorry about the belated reply been otherwise engaged this morning.

Here's what I found via the member centre and I agree it looks very much like a 40/10 profile:-

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 31 - 47Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 6 - 9Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 29.4Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 78Mbps