Did you mean: 

Stranger and Stranger

FIXED
BobR1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Stranger and Stranger

@jab1 

Catching up here... apropos the comments about uptime. That's because I deliberately dropped the connection for at least two DLM cycles i.e. at least 30mins to see what, if anything, the re-synch produced. And it produced the strange situation we are now seeing via a drop in the downstream SNRM from 22dB to the 7.4dB I'm seeing currently.

Routinely I do NOT switch off my router but I did it the other day in desperation!

BobR1
Rising Star

I should have added to the previous post that the 22dB downstream SNRM was because I had to substitute the cable connection form the master socket to the router because the cable that is normally connected got damaged in trying to connect it to the test socket and I couldn't get a replacement over the weekend. The temporary cable was poor quality and unshielded.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

and I agree it looks very much like a 40/10 profile

@BobR1  no it isnt, the current line speed is 80Mb. The estimates don't agree with the synch speeds from your router stats earlier though.

And it produced the strange situation we are now seeing via a drop in the downstream SNRM from 22dB to the 7.4dB I'm seeing currently.

That indicates that you were synched at a lower speed prior to the resynch. I suggest you've still got a line fault somewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BobR1
Rising Star

Poor form to reply to one's own posts I know, but answering the other posts has got me thinking. Prior to signing up for the 80/20 package I was on a 50/10 package with Plusnet. And I now recall that quite a while ago now [2019 I think] there was some kind of profile mix-up that only got fixed with an OpenReach engineer call.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

From your router stats it doesnt look like the synch speeds are being artificially restricted. The downstream is ~74Mb and the upstream is over 10Mb (just). If they were being restricted then the SNR would be much higher than 6db.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

I'm losing track of things here, so forgive me if I sound as though I'm rambling. The connection stats from the router look strange - D/L is what I would be expecting on a good line fairly close to the Fibre PCP at 74/75Mb/s, but U/L is very low, and given the SNR figures that makes me suspicious. If @BobR1 is connected at 74, why is he only getting34Mb/s on a speed test - or are those negative receive power figures significant? - I honestly don't know - can't find the equivalent on my FritzBox to compare.

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

I share your problem - it seems to me that about the only thing I can be certain of is that something is not right and Plusnet needs to get it fixed. 

As I understand it Receive Power is always a negative value.

jab1
Legend

@BobR1 Apart from (a) your actual reported d/l speed, which doesn't tally with your reported profile or actual connection figures from your router, (b) your u/l is also below what I would expect from such a short copper run - but that is not a guaranteed figure, so they might not investigate, but I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that this figure will also (potentially) double if the d/l gets sorted.

Thanks for the comment re: Receive Power, not something I have noticed on kit I have used, so I'll take your word for it.

John
BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

I claim no expertise on subjects like Receive Power - it's all down to Google.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @BobR1,

I am really sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your connection after contacting our support team and for the inconvenience this is causing. 

I just looked at the connection and the profile looks fine from our side, but I can't see where the router has been rebooted after we changed your speed profile.

Can you reboot it now and get back to me if the speed does not improve?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BobR1
Rising Star

Fix

Will do SammyM.

BobR1
Rising Star

Don't recall anyone asking me to re-boot the router, I would normally try to avoid that.

However... EUREKA!! See attached performance report.

For future reference - can you tell me what you did to accomplish this magic?

jab1
Legend

@BobR1 A result! Now all we need is to know why your upload is so poor - if you are worried?

John
BobR1
Rising Star

Finally - problem solved; although I still want to know what was out of kilter and what they did, for future reference.

To all who joined this conversation thank you for your thoughts - we got there in the end.

BobR1
Rising Star

@jab1 

Not really fussed about the upload speed - I don't do much of that.