cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange yo yo up and down broadband speeds

kmw350
Rising Star

Strange yo yo up and down broadband speeds

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

Since first thing this morning, my broadband speeds have been 'yo-yo'ing between zero and 36Mbps. It's really annoying as one moment everything is fine, then 30 seconds later I am down to zero and everything stops (without actually disconnecting). This is continuing in a constant cycle.

But the weirdest thing is, this EXACT same problem happened last year, starting on Saturday 8th Oct, EXACTLY a year ago.

Nothing in my house has changed, (central heating is still off, nothing else has been switched on), but clearly something along the line/at the exchange is causing this up/down drain on my net.

Any ideas?

I don't know how the problem was resolved last year - PlusNet could not find a solution and in the end I risked moving over to Fibre to see if it would clear. At some point it started working ok, & not specifically because of the move to Fibre, so I never knew what the cause was.

Surely it cannot be a coincidence, so it would be great to know what might cause this & if anything can be done about it.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
kmw350
Rising Star

Re: Strange yo yo up and down broadband speeds

And no sooner had I posted this, right now the problem seems to have gone and speeds are back to normal again!

Still, it would be nice to hear any ideeas of what might cause this.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests aren't showing any issues and there's no capacity problems at your exchange.

Are you still seeing issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Thanks Matthew, but it looks like it is all running ok now. It was happening constantly for a few hours on Saturday morning & I was a bit worried as it was the exact same day last year that it started and went on for a couple of weeks with no known cause.

Very strange, but touch wood, it seems to be fine since,

Cheers