cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issues last few days with some aspects of my internet connection?

mattspink
Dabbler

Strange issues last few days with some aspects of my internet connection?

I have logged a fault request on the plusnet site, but thought I would also post here.
I was watching F1 on iPlayer last night (on my youview box) and the stream kept switching between HD and SD. I checked my connection via speedtest.net on my PC and was getting around 37MB dl and 16Mb ul as usual. Both the PC and Youview box are plugged into the same 4 port Solwise Homeplug unit.
Today my son was playing on his Xbox 360 for a few hours and it kept disconnecting from Xbox live. The Xbox is plugged in the same Solwise Homeplug. Each time it dropped out I checked the connection on the PC, and it was connected and the speedtest was fine.
We then tried to watch Sharks on iPlayer on the PC, and it kept pausing to buffer, then restarting, and a few times it just sat on the buffering screen, and then came up with a message about a problem with the content. Again, I kept testing the speed on speedtest.net after each dropout and it all checked out.
We gave up and my son watched an hour of Now.TV live TV on the PC and it played absolutely fine with no buffering issues. At the same time I was watching HD youtube content.
So it seems that connection speed is not an issue, and the connection does not seem to be dropping out, but certain services seem to be having issues.
I am not sure if it may be linked, but we have had an issue for a long time now, possibly since we moved in last year, where we get intermittent crackling and interference when talking on our home phone. We thought it was the phone itself, but bought a new one, and the fault persists. Sometimes you can have a phone call and it is fine, other times it is very hard to communicate.
All of these issues are intermittent and inconsistent so i cannot diagnose a fault and they are doing my head in!!! With a 40MB connection we shouldn't be having any issues with streaming services etc...
Any ideas what I can try whilst i wait for Plusnet to come back to me?
5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Strange issues last few days with some aspects of my internet connection?

I've run a line test on your phone but no fault has been found (this doesn't mean there isn't one).
It is worth checking this in more detail though by plugging into the main socket if you haven't already.
Do the problems still occur without the hubs (as in directly connected to the router)?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mattspink
Dabbler

Hi,
I am not sure what my main socket is! My setup is as follows:
The phone line from the street comes into the house in our bedroom to the socket shown in IMG 511.
It then comes out the back of that box and down to the lounge and into the BT openreach socket shown in IMG 510 where it connects to the fibre modem.
From there is a patch cable to my router, a Netgear N150, IMG 512.
Then finally into my Homeplug network IMG 513. I have been using these for years with no issues.
I have tested iplayer today and it seems better, but we still had a bit of buffering and we are still getting crackling on the phone line. It is hard to test the buffering as tonight for example it only buffered once in an hours viewing - obviously it shouldnt at all, but it is hard to quantify.
mattspink
Dabbler

Hi,
Attachments didn't attach! Find them attached to this message.
mattspink
Dabbler

Hi,
I haven't heard anything here or from my official support question for a few days. Can someone please update me? The iplayer buffering seems to have gone but the crackling on the phone line is still present, which can't be a good thing?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: mattspink
I am not sure if it may be linked, but we have had an issue for a long time now, possibly since we moved in last year, where we get intermittent crackling and interference when talking on our home phone. We thought it was the phone itself, but bought a new one, and the fault persists. Sometimes you can have a phone call and it is fine, other times it is very hard to communicate.

This is what I think needs to be fixed first of all.
I've just replied to your ticket with some information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.