Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Speed test results?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Strange Speed test results?

This is really odd, because the IP Profile from the BTw Speedtest is consistent with the download speeds you are seeing when things are OK. But that Profile from the GEA test is a 40/10 one so you shouldn't see speeds above 38.7 on paper.
We really could do with one of the Plusnet Help Team to take another look at your connection profile.

But why your sync speed is lower than it ought to be is still to be explored and the information I requested in message 9 may help to solve that.

Zoidster
Grafter

Messing around a bit now  - Although not at its worst by any means. (about 30mb down) 

trace.JPG

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The tracerts do show you are on the older network still, but those results aren't showing any particular untoward problems. You can expect, and will see, an odd lengthy time on occasion, and as long as it's not being consistently repeated, it's not indicative of any problem. The same applies with a one-off speed test result, it's when it's repeatable over a period and with more than one tester - and ideally method of test, that a problem is indicated.

But none of the information so far gives any indication as to why your current sync speed is lower than should be expected.

stoswald
Grafter

Dabbler, as a matter of interest who was your previous ISP and what were your speeds like then?

Zoidster
Grafter

Hi,  

Previously on Sky fibre 38mb,  I got 36mb consistantly.  

Zoidster
Grafter

...And now I note Plusnet will be giving people on the lower packages 52mb!! 

I've been done up like a kipper, haven't I?   Sad 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Zoidster wrote:

...And now I note Plusnet will be giving people on the lower packages 52mb!! 

Link/source please.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Browni

https://www.plus.net/#priceChange2016 and click on "Everything you need to know" if the link does not take up to all the details

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I wonder how long before I get my email as I will - if I don't leave - change from 80/20 to 55/10

SpendLessTime
Hero

• Product changes – 1st August 2016

The following product change will apply to some existing Unlimited Fibre customers from 1st August 2016 as set out below:

• We will be changing the speed of our fibre broadband service for existing customers who are on our Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 38Mb† and upload speeds of up to 19Mb to an Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 52Mb and upload speeds of up to 9.4Mb. Any affected existing Unlimited Fibre customers will receive an email to confirm this. Customers may see an improvement in download speeds and connection times.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Saw that after I posted - hence a complete edit Embarrassed

Of course this is complete rubbish (who missed out the decimal point)

We will be changing the speed of our fibre broadband service for existing customers who are on our Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 38Mb† and upload speeds of up to 19Mb to an Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 52Mb and upload speeds of up to 9.4Mb. Any affected existing Unlimited Fibre customers will receive an email to confirm this. Customers may see an improvement in download speeds and connection times.

Zoidster
Grafter

I just *nearly* downgraded,  started a web chat with CS,  but in my haste I missed the part about it starting 1st August and only being "some customers" 

Got right up to the point where he was going to transfer me to Account options, and it crossed my mind that "52mb" in Plusnet-ese means about 30mb, and until the 1st August it would be 38mb (again, - Plusnetese - 20mb)  

Leaving it as it is for now, but I've got a feeling my temper will boil over in August when I am paying 1st class fare to sit in a 2nd class carriage that smells of wee.  

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Oldjim

Did they miss out the decimal place or is it a forced replacement of the 40/20 legacy packages?Huh

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea but once I get my email I will be phoning to see what they will be offering as - if I can get a reasonable deal - I will be dropping from 80/20 down to 55/10 with LRS

SpendLessTime
Hero

It would make financial sense for Plusnet to move all the 40/20 packages which are really a 80/20 wholesale cost lines down to the slightly cheaper 52/9 and argue that some people will see faster downloads offset with a drop in upload speed.