Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Dennis and my Fibre connection

mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Storm Dennis and my Fibre connection

During storm Dennis on Saturday and Sunday my router was losing connection every few minutes. I called and logged a fault ref no, 199050870

I have overhead lines from the cab which pass through trees and I am assuming that as they were being whipped about by the wind this was the source of the problem because on Monday when everything calmed down the connection stabilised.

At the moment the connection has been stable (no drops) for more that 24 hours:HOME

However my connection is below minimum guarenteed speed due to the DLM having a nervous breakdown.

These are my router Stats:

Line State: UP [0x0]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime: 1d 19h 27m 19s
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 19.135 Mb/s / 4.744 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 29.101 Mb/s / 5.398 Mb/s
Latency: 0.13 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 28.2 dB / 31.7 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 24.4 dB / 31.1 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 11.2 dB / 7.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 7.2 dB / 10.3 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES): 4 / 10069
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 3 / 4477
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 0 / 165
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 59 / 59
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 0 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Broadcom 164.154
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

The normal data rate before Dennis was about 27mB.

I called the helpdesk yesterday and they said there was still a fault on my line, but if there is its not showing on my line stats. The errors are not increasing. Only fault at the moment sems to be the DLM, happy that it has restored stability, is resting on its laurals and not wanting to increase my line speed.

Can a PN staffer please advise if the Friday appointment should be cancelled (I don't want a no-fault callout charge thank you) and if so can a reset of the DLM errors be requested so I don't have to wait weeks for the DLM algorithm to relax and restore normal operation.

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
mbeenham
Rising Star

Re: Storm Dennis and my Fibre connection

Still up - any comment from PN?

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8d40da721e5f6ce8114b783920007ac994539a2f]My Broadband Ping[/url]

mbeenham
Rising Star

That didn't seem to work, try:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8d40da721e5f6ce8114b783920007ac994539a2f
mbeenham
Rising Star

Well, there's a strong and gusty wind blowing this morning and the connection is dropping out again every few minutes so I assume storm Dennis did some damage to the overhead wires.

When a gust blows I can hear a lot of noise on the line during a quiet line test so I hope the wind is blowing when Mr O/R comes tomorrow...

mbeenham
Rising Star

So Mr Openreach turned up today and as expected no wind so no line drops.

However he didn't just leave with a no fault found but went out and checked my overhead wires.

After an hour or two he found a place in my neighbour's garden where the line was hooked up on a tree and the wire inside the insulation was broken, but mostly still making contact except when the line moved about a lot.

After replacing the wire he reset the DLM and all is now fine, I'm getting over 29Mb which is about the maximum possible so I am very happy.

Well done to him for getting stuck in to find the fault instead of walking away.

🤗