Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no fibre upgrade or internet

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Still no fibre upgrade or internet

It's very confusing but when the engineer goes out they should be able to shine some light on the matter.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KaotiK
Grafter

Yea fair enough! Il get him to make sure the upstairs one is the master. Least I will know everything should be sound and can get the best speeds possible. Cheers for the help so far.
KaotiK
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler Hey , so engineer has been and gone, changed wiring to the house, and replaced sockets inside. According to him my sync speed is at 26mb, He reckons due to to the length from the exchange 1.2km or something thats the best i can get.. Im getting around 23mb-24mb down and 7mb up actual speed at the moment. 

So my question is, is that the best i can get fibre wise? Obviously when i went to select my product, i chose Fibre extra because that was an option to me as i wanted the fastest i could get, but im getting no where near the max of that so is there point? If i changed to normal fibre, Would that effect my speed? any slower is just terrible.

So any clarification from anyone would be helpful please? Is the engineer right and thats all i can get? bit confused i had other options to me and an estimated speed of 50mb beforehand.

cheers

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you are the length quoted from the cabinet then that may be the best you can get.

You can drop onto the Unlimited Fibre package but this would drop your upload speeds to 2mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KaotiK
Grafter

Ah ok, i will leave it as is then! I like my upload! Smiley Im assuming when you test initially online it bases the line distance off the postcode distance to the exchange? The wiring from my exchange takes a really stupid detour the engineer told me! typical! Cheers for all the help !

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@KaotiK

If you input your details in the following web site it'll give you the straight line distance to your exchange and an estimated "phone line" distance.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php

Using the BTWholesale checker should give an estimate of available speeds for your line. Funnily enough, it's just been updated to show if there's a suspected "bridge tap" problem which could impact a line.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Edit - Of course, with FTTC it's the distance to your cabinet that matters!!!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm not sure exactly how the estimate is calculated if I'm honest but I believe the data is based off Openreachs records for the post code and what they think the distance is.

You might find your estimates on the BT DSL checker change soon as a result.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@KaotiK bear in mind with fibre it's the distance to the cabinet that matters when it comes down to speed estimates/actual whereas with ADSL it's the distance to the exchange.
KaotiK
Grafter

So my line still isnt right, communicating on the ticket and someone did ring me up yesterday so its being monitored,

But my speed has now dropped all the way down to 15mb again, so that sucks.. also getting connection drops sometimes.

What else can be wrong?

KaotiK
Grafter

Have done a bt test.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 15.45 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 11.33 Mbps-16.18 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 16.18 Mbps

Why is my ip profile at 16mb? no chance im getting my 24mb with that right?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile is governed by the sync speed on the line, so unless the sync speed improves the profile won't increase. It's looking likely to need another engineer visit I'm afraid. If you can update the fault ticket with your availability that'll be ready for the faults team picking this up.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
KaotiK
Grafter

So confusing this! Whats effecting the sync speed? When the last engineer left he tested it and it was at 28mb, he ran brand new wiring from the pole outside to my house and he sdaid before leaving there is nothing wrong there. I have a brand new master socket installed to.

Il update my ticket now.

Also, my connection just dropped, i did a speed test after that and im at 22-23mb again... arghhhh.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'll reply to your fault ticket shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KaotiK
Grafter

Hey, so update after engineer.. they replaced more cables outside which improved my speed to around 26mb.. Been pretty stable also, i had my connection drop today, and now my download speed has improved even more to 29.5mb which is awesome. My upload speed has dropped to 5.50mb from like 6.50 though (Not to bothered about that but still confusing lol)

My ping is higher, but i assume its just interleaved at the moment due to the problems i have been having?

Hopefully stays stable at these speeds, will see over the next few days.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy to hear the visit went well, and you're back up to speed. Thumbs_Up

Interleaving is turned off...

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Let us know if you experience any further problems.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet