cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still lagging and high ping on gaming

Glennmac

Still lagging and high ping on gaming

Hi, I have tried all the help provided by plusnet but unfortunately my gaming experience Is still poor as I am lagging a lot and also my ping is still very high on EU servers. I am getting very frustrated because even my mobile has to buff while streaming. I have tried speaking to technical who seem unable to answer. I have enjoyed plusnet for a while but now I'm feeling like I want out if this persists Cry
3 REPLIES 3
Glennmac

Re: Still lagging and high ping on gaming

I have been told it could be down to the router being quite dated and not able to keep up with fibre speeds as it is only a single 2.4gb. Are plusnet liable for updating our routers as we are under the impressing we are paying for fast fibre but being hampered by a dated router?
celsoazevedo
Grafter

I don't know if they have to give you a new router, but keep in mind that routers provided by ISP's (bt, virgin, plusnet, etc) are usually very bad... don't expect the best signal and speeds from them over wifi.
Some questions for you:
- Are you using a wireless or wired connection? Does it improve if you use a network cable? Don't forget that if you want a very stable and fast connection, a wired connection is the best solution.
- When you say "2.4gb", are you talking about wifi frequencies? If yes, you probably mean 2.4 GHz (gigahertz and not gigabytes). Newer routers support 5GHz, which gives you better speeds when you are close to the router, but your devices also need to support 5GHz.
- What's the maximum speed you can get? Do a speed test on speedtest.net (choose a London server) and share the results here.
- What game are you trying to play?
- Do you have problems with all games and streams or only with some of them?
Glennmac

Hi there,
I always play wired and yes I meant ghz and not gb. It's all my games that I play online. Constant lag and my hits don't register. My friends even comment on my lag. When I do a speed test it comes back 39mb up and 19mb down which I'm happy with but it doest feel like I'm getting them speeds. I was on hold for over 40 mins yesterday which isn't helping my patience. I know the ps4 speed tester isn't much to go by but that says I'm only getting 19 down and 3 up.
I have opened ports for my ps4 and put it in the dmz and still nochange. Getting a ping of 80+ and 3 bar connection is not what I'm paying for for fibre.