cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still issues after thje weekend

Nyxanna
Grafter

Still issues after thje weekend

Last weekend a lot of people were having issues and my connection as well was down for some hours.
After it came back it was very slow. Speedtest gave me an 10 mb/s (before it was 30mb/s) and I don't have time to run the BT test.
Something is obviously wrong with the connection.
Can someone just take a look to see if they can tell if something is off?
17 REPLIES 17
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Still issues after thje weekend

Hi Nyxanna,
I've taken a quick look at your line. Though it's slower than what you report it has been previously, I cannot find a specific fault. I'd need you to go through the full diagnostics on our faults page for you so that we can take another look into it.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Nyxanna
Grafter

Thank you.
I have just raised a fault and the issue still persists.
One thing I was very confused about is that there is a clear tone on the phone when you pick it up but after just a few seconds the volume decreases until it is barely noticeable. The same goes for the dial tone. Only the first few can be heard.
Nyxanna
Grafter

Problem still persists and no reply yet.
I ran a speed test on speedtest.net and looked at the information they always add on the picture. One thing that stood out was the exchange. Usually when I ran this test it always showed where I lived but now it showed some area extremely far from where I live.
Could it perhaps be possible that Plusnet gave me another exchange which is very far during the issues which is why my speed has dropped without anyone being able to see obvious errors?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The speedtest you're using does not show your exchange, it shows where the site think your best test server is located.  Try running the test by going to http://london.speedtest.net and clicking on 'Begin Test with your preferred server' and seeing if the result still shows a significant performance hit.
Nyxanna
Grafter

No difference. The thing is that I am not basing my complaint on speedtest results but noticeable lag in games. There definitely is something wrong with the connection.
Dhaos
Grafter

You never mentioned any lag in the first post, you mentioned speed, anyway have you set up a http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html
also have you tried jumping gateways to see if that changes anything? http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Thanks for updating us here. We need to concentrate on the telephone aspect of the problems first of all. There is a good chance this is half the problem. The tests that we've done don't show any particular faults though, so I just need to check your handset etc before arrange an engineer for you. I'll be updating your ticket in a few minutes.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Nyxanna
Grafter

So I've finally gotten to buying a telephone to test the line again and it's working perfectly. The sound is completely clear.
I went back to the Raise a Fault page and the next step was connecting to the modem without the router.
Now that I am connected I can see my download back to the usual 28 MB/s so the router is the issue.
I've reset and restarted the router countless times before this and it never fixed the issue. Sadly the Raise a Fault page is down currently since I wanted to go back and tick that the fault has been fixed. I was hoping it would tell me how to fix the router.
What can I do? The router has always been is a completely safe and clean place so there has to be a wrong setting somewhere.
Nyxanna
Grafter

So basically we can assume that something is wrong with the router.
However when connecting the PC to the modem directly I do it with the yellow cable. There is a red cable that goes from the modem to the router. I thought that perhaps something is wrong with the cable and used the red cable to connect the modem to the PC and couldn't connect whatsoever. I don't know if the cable is broken or if the cable is not meant to connect to the PC.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

It is possible the cables are different - one is "normal" (both connectors wired the same) the other "cross-over" (connectors wired differently). It should be possible to see any difference with the connectors alongside each other. Most of the time, this does not matter as modern routers and switches auto-sense and adapt to the cable used. However, if neither device has auto-sense, then the cable used is significant.
This means that, with the router in place, the cables can be interchanged and everything will still work even if the cables are different. If you have a third cable, then you could try the cables in pairs.
Is the speed test result similar with the cables yellow (modem/router) and red (router/PC)?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Nyxanna
Grafter

I created a ticket last night and apprently my connection is going to be tested. I guess it's procedure but obviously the fault is with the router and as an employee said before it wouldn't be possible for Plusnet to discover the fault. Can't I just get some advice how I can get this thing back to normal without capping the internet?
Nyxanna
Grafter

Tried the red cable again. Now I was able to connect to the modem with n o issues and receive the usual speeds.
This makes it clear that something is not right with the router. I'm not sure why nobody is replying here since employees surely must know how to reset the router properly.
The ticket I created is no better. I got another message today that my connection is going to be tested when I clearly explained that the router is at fault in the ticket.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure why nobody is replying here since employees surely must know how to reset the router properly.

If you wanted to reset the router there's a small hole on the back that if held down with a pin for around 10 seconds will factory reset back to defaults.

Let's clarify where we're up to as the discussion of the cables has muddied things a little.
You were experiencing performance issues.
You connected directly to the modem and the performance issues went away.
You connected back to the router and you had performance issues again - is this right?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Nyxanna
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Yes, this is completely correct.
I have also already tried to reset the router through the hole in the back. I also logged into the router and clicked on reset there.
I just received a response on my ticket.
Plusnet has deemed my line intermittent and wants to book an engineer appointment. I'm slightly confused now as I have been connecting and disconnecting my line all the time to plug the router in and out. When I need wifi I plug the router in and when I don't I remove it to get the original speed again. This is perhaps why Plusnet believes my connection to be intermittent. Unfortunately I was never asked to keep the router plugged in for the tests even though I mentioned it in the ticket that removing the router fixes the issue.
I don't want an engineer to visit because if he does not find a fault with the line I'll get charged £50 and I know that nothing is wrong with the line, only with the router. I don't fully understand the test information in the ticket but tests seem to have been passed. I feel like nobody even acknowledged that the issue is fixed by connecting directly to the modem.
My ticket number is 95097801. I would appreciate if you could take a look and tell me if an engineer is genuinely required. I would rather buy a new router with the £50 instead of being charged for nothing.
If you require me to keep the router connected for tests please also let me know and I'll keep using it so the connection is not intermittent.
I will also reply to the ticket and explain again that the router is most likely faulty and that I have been disconnecting the router all the time.
I'd just like to point out that from now on the router is not going to be disconnected by me again should you want to rerun the tests.