cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Downloads

craigyrfc
Hooked

Steam Downloads

Hi, I seem to be getting an issue where, when downloading from Steam or Origin my speed is capped to around half my 40Meg line speed. Downloading from Uplay gets full speed. Is this some kind of traffic prioritisation i'm seeing and is there any way to fix it?
8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Steam Downloads

There shouldn't be any traffic prioritisation differences between them.
Have you checked to make sure there's no sort of download limit set in each program?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
craigyrfc
Hooked

Yea, i've checked all of that. just seems pretty weird. I also just done a test where i was downloading from Steam then started a Uplay download. The Uplay download quickly shot up to full speed while the steam download dropped to a crawl. Would the pro add on fix my steam download speed do you think? Nothing else in the house is using bandwidth at the moment as i've had it before whilst the wife was using netflix hd and wondered what was going on Cheesy
davenos
Rising Star

Its possible that the steam servers are taking a battering at the moment with people trying to download GTA V,the speeds should return to normal in a day or two I use steam quite regular and normally get the full download speed my connection can handle.
craigyrfc
Hooked

Yeah, it might be. I'm sure i've noticed it the last few times i've used it but i've also been having speed issues which are now hopefully resolved so i'll keep an eye on it. Thought it was weird how Origin seemed to be the same and i also tried a torrent which wasn't getting to full speed even though there was a lot of seeds. I know torrent isn't the best and most reliable form of speed testing though haha
craigyrfc
Hooked

Looking at my usage history for today, it seems Steam downloads are classed as Web activity, where Uplay is classed as Peer-to-Peer. Is there some sort of system that makes peer to peer traffic take preference over web traffic? As i said, i'll keep an eye on steam download speeds, but it almost looks like it's being limited as it's been steady all night at around 1.8MB/s.
craigyrfc
Hooked

Any update on this? Seems strange that Origin and Steam Both only use about half my connection speed when other utilities can use full speed. The only thing i can think of is some kind of throttling by Plusnet as it was never like this previously with BT.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am no expert on this nor do I know anything about PN prioritisation, but I can tell you that as UPlay is P2P then it will download from as many hosts as possible, which is why you are getting the speeds. As regards the Steam I tend to agree with davenos regarding the load on these servers, and I suspect that in time all will be back to normal.
If you can try a Steam update as early as possible in the morning  when most of America is still in bed and see if this gives better results.
Also, count yourself lucky you have fibre, I'm on ADSL and had to suffer a 65GB download when my son got GTA V for his XBox One!
craigyrfc
Hooked

It just seems to be a hard lock to 1.8MB/s which is strange as i've never had it before with any other ISP. Also, I highly doubt it's steam server issue as Origin is exactly the same.
I don't think I should count myself lucky I have Fibre since I pay through the nose for the privilege. What's the point in paying for fibre when I'm getting ADSL speeds for it's main purpose?