cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stay with Plusnet Router/Openreach Modem or switch

TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

Stay with Plusnet Router/Openreach Modem or switch

Just switched to fibre and am getting slightly higher speeds than predicted so am quite happy. I am aware the speed may change as the line "trains". However I was wondering is there any benefit from getting something like the TP-Link TD-W9980 or should I just stay with the PlusNet Router/Openreach Modem combo as it is working well at the moment?
4 REPLIES 4
shure
Grafter

Re: Stay with Plusnet Router/Openreach Modem or switch

Depends what you want out of it.  If it's working well why pay to change?
edit:  the following review of the W9980 suggests you would get no better modem performance over the Openreach modem.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9980_review.htm
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I would say the main reasons for changing would be if you wanted any of the following...
1) An all-in-one solution (combined modem and router) to replace your current 2 box solution.
2) Improved wi-fi coverage (the supplied PN router doesn't have great wi-fi coverage).
3) Improved feature set over the PN supplied router.
If your current setup is working for you, and the above features are not something you need, I would say stick with what you have, at least for now.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For me personally the W9980 meant i got rid of a lot of extra wires & an extra socket freed up,just less clutter for me. Smiley Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My modem & router are hidden away upstairs out of the way. However, I bought an Asus router to improve the less than average performance of the one supplied by PN. It more than doubled my speeds.