cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' figure?

grahamt
Rising Star

Status of Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' figure?

This arose out of one of the current threads about problems with the 55/10 profile that people who had been on 40/20 were moved to recently.

In the 'Connection Settings' page of the Member Centre there used to be a link called 'High Speed Broadband. It showed both hte estimated line speed (useful for new customers) and the 'Current line speed' aka the 'Plusnet profile.For reasons that were never fully explained, that link was removed a while back, but the page is still there if you know the URL:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Does the 'Current line speed' figure still have any significance and, if so, is it significant for all broadband customers or just for some of us? I ask because my 'Current line speed' shows '40 Mb' although I'm on the 55/10 profile and normally get a download speed of above 50 (using Ookla's speedtest.net from a consistent server). I'm on Plusnet's 'new network' - does that make a difference?

4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Status of Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' figure?

I've wondered whether its worth hanging on the phone to announce that the results of that link that I've got a line speed of:-

Screenshot from 2016-10-07 19_52_34.png

But in reality I only have

Screenshot from 2016-10-07 19_57_41.png

On balance, taking Plusnet's renowned customer service into consideration, I've decided not to bother. The chances of talking to someone who even understood my question would be exceedingly slim.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Looks like they have some duff data somewhere on that page, my speedtest right now is showing 67mb/sec bu tthe page says "Current line speed:21 Mb"

The BTW speedtest is a good one to go by, if you are in the range it says and hasve no problems then ignore the speed on the plusnet page!

The one that may sometimes cause confusion though is where plusnet have ordered and put you on an 80/20 product, but sold you a 40/20 or 55/10 product. BTW wont know about that ans could still show a sync speed of 80, but you only get the 55 for the product you are on etc.

grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for that link to your previous question, Oldjim. I'm not on the forum every day and so sometimes miss earlier threads (probably to the annoyance of regular posters like yourself when I repeat your questions - sorry).

Your thread did answer one question of mine - it does look like the Plusnet IP Profile isn't used on the new network.