Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP

carlwalters
Dabbler

Static IP

Hello,
I've just added a static IP address to my package and rebooted the router (Technicolour 582n). I can ping the new static IP from my home network fine but if I try this from work then I just get a request timed out.
Is there something I have to change in the router settings to allow me in? (All I'm really trying to do is access the web pages that my two TiVos are serving up on my local network)
all suggestions gratefully received  Smiley
Carl
6 REPLIES 6
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Static IP

You have to enable "respond to ping on internet port" on the router - what model do you have? I think it's normally disabled by default.
Then you'll have to set up port forwarding for HTML traffic. The TiVo will need a (local) static IP address, not one assigned by your router's DHCP.
carlwalters
Dabbler

I have the Technicolour 582n.
The TiVos both have static IP addresses on my local network (I managed to work out how to do that Smiley )
So I'll need to fiddle with the port forwarding - which I assume is buried somewhere in the advanced settings?
Andrue
Pro

Probably. It might also be called Virtual Server.
adie:quote
Stoker
Rising Star

Sorry I have the Netgear router so am not sure how yours would be configured.
I don't think you'll be able to access both TiVo's remotely. You can only port-forward HTTP requests to one address, unless you can configure one to listen on something other than port 80.
Or maybe you could do http to one and https (port 443) to the other?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think (though don't know if it can be done on a 582n) map ports external to internal.  So for example you might map port 8080 on the external interface to port 80 on the first box and port 8081 on the external interface to port 80 on the second box.
I think I've seen mention of this before on here, possibly with webcams, but I couldn't be 100% sure.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Estragon
Rising Star

I suggest you do the ping setting first. Make sure that's working before doing the port forwarding.
It's in the firewall section.