Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP question

Malcky
Grafter

Static IP question

Hi folks,

I see there is an option to have a static IP for a one off fee of £5......I was just wondering if PN would just use the IP I'm currently on and make it static...or do they need to drop the connection and do what ever they do to get me onto the static IP?

I have no clue what gateway I'm on just now....35.185.181......if that helps folks tell me?

If a change of gateways is needed, has anyone had any difference in connection speeds or dropouts or any other negative effects etc?

Im toying with hosting a service, so looking at my options here.

9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Static IP question

As far as I am aware Plusnet have a static IP pool from which you would be allocated an IP if you purchased one.

This link should tell you which gateway you are on Gateway Check 

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I was just wondering if PN would just use the IP I'm currently on and make it static...or do they need to drop the connection and do what ever they do to get me onto the static IP?

Static IP's are allocated from a different range to the dynamic ones. Your connection would need to be dropped to be reallocated onto the static.

Not sure if that is done automatically or whether you need to manually drop and reconnect the pppoe session ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Malcky
Grafter

The gateway checker tell me this:

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 6.660 ms

Does that tell me the gateway ?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Yes. That is the gateway.

If you were to google....  what's my IP      that will tell your current IP address.

The static address would be different, as others have said, allocated from a pool. Mine starts 81.   

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Malcky
Grafter

@idonno

Have you always had a static IP or did you change it at some point to see if it improved anything?

Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I bought a static IP address last year as I'm running a VPN on my Draytek router.

It was a random allocation. Works well, no problems.

Mike

MartyPop
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

I was just wondering if PN would just use the IP I'm currently on and make it static...or do they need to drop the connection and do what ever they do to get me onto the static IP?

Static IP's are allocated from a different range to the dynamic ones. Your connection would need to be dropped to be reallocated onto the static.

Not sure if that is done automatically or whether you need to manually drop and reconnect the pppoe session ?

You need to manually disconnect and then reconnect for the new static IP to take effect.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

You need to manually disconnect and then reconnect for the new static IP to take effect

Yes, just discovered that!

Needed to get a static for a work colleague so that I could allow him through our firewall, to connect to the office pbx.

In fact it does cover it in the help & support pages ( much to my surpriseEmbarrassed )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Not long after I signed up, I noticed Plusnet were charging just £5 and that was it. Very cheap compared to some ISP's I've been with. No drama with getting one either. Case of pay the money, job done. I don't think it improves anything but it does mean I always know what IP address I have.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?