cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP not static

FIXED
jaydubyasee

Static IP not static

I requested a static IP as our company's systems are protected by IP address. My profile says that my IP is static but it changed from yesterday to today. This makes it impossible to work from home. Who do I contact to find out what's going on?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Static IP not static

@jaydubyasee Wewlcome to the forum.

After your static IP address is activated you have to drop the connection then reconnect to swap to the allocated fixed address. Did you do this?

If not and it is a recent change then the overnight resync most likely did it for you and you are now on the static one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jaydubyasee

Thanks @Baldrick1 

This is a recent change (asked for the static IP yesterday) but didn't realise I needed to drop the connection. I guess I wait to see what happens tomorrow to see if my IP is now my fixed IP!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Fix

@jaydubyasee 

Yes, or drop your line for a couple of hours to see if it picks up the same one again when you reconnect,

It's also worth looking at your rDNS to see if you are happy with the default format as it can show information you would rather hide. An easy way to do this is to use a tool such as this  https://www.whatismyip.com/reverse-dns-lookup/?iref=dnslookupr1p1

I have mine set to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx.plus.com. You have to ask if you want it changed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'