cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP not pinging

dmowfo

Static IP not pinging

Hi there. 

I have recently setup a static IP address. This was working fine last night when pinging it within the network and via 4G. This morning outside of the network this isn't working. Anyone have any idea why this might be the case?

Thanks in advance. Plusnet have confirmed everything looks OK at their end and the IP is active.

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Static IP not pinging

If you are using the Plusnet Hub One, then external PINGS are dropped so the public IP will never respond.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dmowfo

OK thanks. Makes sense.

I have it setup as a RDP connection to a machine at home. This was working but nothing now?

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I have it setup as a RDP connection to a machine at home. This was working but nothing now?

What do you mean by that? Do you mean that you have exposed an RDP server through your home firewall?

dmowfo

Yes

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

So we know pings wont work as the Hub One rejects them.

We also know you've opened ports on the firewall to allow RDP access to a PC at home.

Are all the necessary ports open? Have you tried a GRC Shields Up from an external PC to see if the router is showing the ports are open?

Could your line be affected by the latest Plusnet service issue see here ?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Or - could the PC have crashed, could Windows have updated and restarted, could it have gone into a sleep-state that doesn't wake for RDP or...?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.