Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP and dropping connection

dedrury
Dabbler

Static IP and dropping connection

Hi all,

Recently changed to a static IP and since then the connection is dropping maybe twice a week (but not regularly). Before the change the connection was rock solid. The DSL line stays synced but I lose the IP.

I'm using a Netgear D6400 router and initially I left it set to 'Get IP from server' but after a few dropouts I changed it to a static IP but with no change to the stability.

Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Static IP and dropping connection

Hi there, I think it might be coincidental that this has happened after switching to a static IP as that should have absolutely no influence on the connection. 

Our logs don't reveal any connection drops so assuming that you're connecting over WIFi it might be worth testing speeds over a wired connection to the router. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dedrury
Dabbler

Hm, no problems with speed - no drop since change. As it's the router dropping the connection wired or wifi is irrelevant. Here's the router log entries for the last dropout

[Internet disconnected] Saturday, May 18,2019 16:37:03
[DSL Event] DSL: Up Saturday, May 18,2019 16:37:37
[Internet connected] IP address: 195.166.158.46, Saturday, May 18,2019 16:37:44

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @dedrury

I have also run a test on the line and I cannot see any issues and no errors have been detected. Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router lately with 1 drop in the last 8 days which is not a cause for concern.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 797.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-05-06T13:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 4.9 Mbps 5.1 Mbps 5.1 Mbps
Up Time 899.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-05-19T11:36:13Z 2019-05-19T11:51:13Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I do admit there were some drops before the 11th of May on your connection but since it has stabilised over the past week, I wouldn't worry about it for now. However feel free to follow the checks below if you do get more frequent drops in the next couple of days.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

Let us know how it goes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
dedrury
Dabbler

Ta, I'll keep an eye on it

dedrury
Dabbler

Just out of interest which is the better option to set on the router? static ip or dynamic from isp

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @dedrury

It depends on how you use your internet and for what.

Static IP doesn't change so it makes it easier businesses or customers that servers or have a certain internal network setup that requires a set IP address, easier for Geolocation services to accurately locate where you are. Dynamic IP addresses are free, requires less maintenance and it's the most efficient use of IP addresses from an ISP point of view.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Just out of interest which is the better option to set on the router? static ip or dynamic from isp

You always need it set to 'dynamic from ISP', even if you have a static IP. Effectively all a static IP means is that PlusNet will ALWAYS allocate the same IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dedrury
Dabbler

Ta, suspected that was the case

dedrury
Dabbler

Well its still happening - see log extract

[Internet connected] IP address: 195.166.158.46, Sunday, May 26,2019 13:50:51
[DSL Event] DSL: Up Sunday, May 26,2019 13:50:43
[Internet disconnected] Sunday, May 26,2019 13:50:10
[Internet connected] IP address: 195.166.158.46, Sunday, May 26,2019 13:48:13
[Internet disconnected] Sunday, May 26,2019 13:48:00
[Internet connected] IP address: 195.166.158.46, Sunday, May 26,2019 13:27:03
[DSL Event] DSL: Up Sunday, May 26,2019 13:26:56
[Internet disconnected] Sunday, May 26,2019 13:26:22

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @dedrury,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists.

After retesting the line, I can see 3 drops in the last 24 hours. If you have already connected to the test socket by following the guide here, please raise a fault and let us know once complete so we can look towards progressing the issue with our suppliers.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
dedrury
Dabbler

Hi,

Can confirm I've connected to the test socket but cannot leave it like that for any length of time as it disconnects the phone, however DSL connects fine and at the same speeds as normal, and as I have no internal wiring usually the router is connected directly to the master socket.

Have attempted to raise a fault a few times which may have competed but each time I received the following on pressing the submit button

Sorry, we are not able to complete this request at the moment, please try again later.

dedrury
Dabbler

OK, I've just reverted to the Plusnet one router to eliminate the possibility that it's the Netgear.

lets see how things go now

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dedrury,

Thank you for trying the test socket and for reconnecting your Plusnet router. I'm sorry that the fault link isn't working for you. Please let us know if your connection doesn't improve - we can raise the fault from here for you if so.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dedrury
Dabbler

Ho Hum,

I've now seen three drops from the Hub One in the last couple of days with the error.

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]

The line state shows continuous connection from 23 odd days (since I reconnected the Hub One)  but it's the internet that goes down.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 28/05/19

Any thoughts?