cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address has gone from my account

paulcreedy

Static IP address has gone from my account

Since ever I've been with plusnet I've always paid for a static IP address.

The only change to my service was moving from ASDL to Fibre two years ago.

I've now noticed that the static IP doesn't show up in my plusnet account, and it says that the configuration is not available to me.

I've read somewhere that when  you move to fibre you lose the static IP as it restricts download/upload speeds. I don't know if this is correct or not.

I need the static IP as there are various sites I go to that use IP authentication/lockout and without that static IP I can't use those websites.  The last time I checked my PC which was a while AFTER my fibre upgrade it reported that I still had a static IP.

So, have I lost the IP, or do I still have one but it's not showing up in the Account? 

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Static IP address has gone from my account

@paulcreedy 

I've now noticed that the static IP doesn't show up in my plusnet account, and it says that the configuration is not available to me.

There's a similar problem reported here https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/quot-activate-your-static-IP-quot-not-working/m-p/1659036#M41... . Although that was on a business account , tests by others on that thread seem to indicate it's a problem on some residential accounts as well.

I've read somewhere that when  you move to fibre you lose the static IP as it restricts download/upload speeds. I don't know if this is correct or not.

You should not lose the static IP. A static IP per-say does not  restrict the speeds. However, static IP's are constrained by the PlusNet Line speed whereas dynamic ones aren't. Having said that, provided the PlusNet line speed is set correctly, which it should be, then the speed will not be affected.

Have you checked to see if your assigned IP is still the one you expect ?

I have a static IP and it does show on my account so the problem would only appear to affect some accounts ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulcreedy

I've done a test and I can see that the IP that my router has is the original static IP that I've always had.  So, I still have one.  

What threw me was that when I logged into my plusnet account it tells me on the static Ip option, that this configuration is not available for my account.

So it would appear that I have one, but can't see it or control it from within my plusnet account.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So it would appear that I have one, but can't see it or control it from within my plusnet account.

That's what I expected. There seems to be some issue with some accounts regarding the portal and static IP's

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Public IP address for your router is assigned by DHCP so you would need to reboot it to confirm if you still have a static IP address.

I have a fixed IP address but have just come out of contract and I now see this message..

If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account.

So the question is does being out of contract deny the option to have a static IP address even though I have paid for one?

Be nice for some from PN to confirm this

Dan.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

IIRC (it's been a while since I checked or looked at this on an account) the reason that the static IP will show as not available on the portal is due to their being a static AND a dynamic IP 'component' on the account in our systems. The static IP overrides the dynamic one for connections, however the dynamic one seems to take precedence on the portal, hence the message you're seeing.

Hopefully one of the support team will be along an be able to confirm whether my memory is correct or not.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Chris 

Thank you for your reply, however when I last checked the portal did say I had a Static IP Address which is inline with the OP comment.

I am not attempting to hijack the OP but to add I also have the same issue.

Dan.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm willing to guess that somehow a dynamic IP 'component' is on your account on our side and that's stopping you seeing that the static is available. Why it's there and when it was added aren't something I can answer Smiley

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @paulcreedy,

I've checked your account and the static IP address is still there and looks to be the one you're currently connected through, as you've confirmed. The component not showing up on your account from your end of things shouldn't cause any issues though, so if you do experience any it's most likely unrelated. If you do experience any issues then please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further.

Hi @Dan_the_Van,

Everything seems alright with your static IP address too. Also, to clarify, you can have a static IP whilst you're outside of a contract with us as it's a separate component on our accounts.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team