cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address and PN safe guard

dickcango

Static IP address and PN safe guard

A warning to anyone with a static IP address and wanting to use PN safeguard.
I have only just joined PN and every thing went to plan, my phone line was connected in the morning and had broadband up and running in the afternoon, all was running fine with no issues and achieving near advertised speeds.
I set up a static IP address last night and also enabled the PN Safe Guard which initially seemed fine with no issues and blocking access to the sites I had listed. A couple of hours later everything slowed down and I was unable to access any site apart from the PN site. I suspected the Safe  Guard may be blocking other sites so tried to turn it off. Nothing happened and still was being blocked on most sites. I left it for a couple of hours with still the same results, I tried rebooting both the router and modem with still the same issue.
This  morning I phoned support services who were very helpful and after several tests of the line and other checks I was told it was clash with using safe guard and having a static IP address which for some unknown or undisclosed  reason would not allow switching off the Safe Guard and blocked most sites. My IP address was reset and all now seems to be working OK but have been told not to use Safe Guard for the moment. Not a major issues as I can set up parental controls through my router.
I have read a lot of negative reports on PN support but apart from a longish wait getting through to support service I was very pleased with their politeness and efficiency in handling and resolving the problem.
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Static IP address and PN safe guard

SafeGuard was the first thing I turned off in my account. I read somewhere about a cost after the first 12 months but it may just be free forever now.
IMO it's a bit of a lame duck feature, given the IWF filtering just works on hostnames so you can use any public HTTP proxy to circumvent (and kids are very ingenious at working around any kind of filtering).
Amusingly, by default, PN SafeGuard blocks "Tasteless" web sites... Those are probably the majority of my browsing Crazy
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Glad that we got it resolved quickly for you, though I am in the process of speaking with the agent that you spoke with, as a means of finding out why this is an issue.
Quote from: Chris
SafeGuard was the first thing I turned off in my account.

I hope that it didn't start as being switched on... Huh
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I believe it was... Was active on my account from day 1. Gone now though!