cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Range?

burtmianus

Static IP Range?

Hola,

I currently have 1 static IP on my broadband and am about to start a new job that involves working from home and having a range of 5 or more static IPs would be extremely useful. Is there a way of getting a range of static IP addresses rather than a single one?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Static IP Range?

@burtmianus

I don't believe that PN offer multiple static IP's on a residential connection. Whilst it's possible on a business connection you need a good justification to get them, since IP addresses are limited. 

As an aside, I don't think that any of the routers currently supplied by PN support multiple statics, so you would need to supply and configure your own router.

Can you not achieve what you need using port forwarding ?

Perhaps if you explain what you need to do, people on here may be able to help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

burtmianus

I'm not using PN's kit, I work for a firewall manufacturer so am using our own kit. I could achieve it with port forwarding, but it makes it more complicated when I am trying to lab stuff as near to real world as possible. If I have to use PF then I will, but was curious whether it was possible to get the easier route first.

As it'll be more heavily used for work i might see about converting to Business anyway.

Ta

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you are relying on the connection for work then a business connection is a good idea as fault repair times are usually better.

PN still seem reluctant to provide multiple statics without jumping through lots of hoops, I guess their IP allocation in the static range is limited.

I completely understand that some things are MUCH easier (and sometimes only possible!) with multiple IP's.  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @burtmianus

Thanks for getting in touch.

As @MisterW has suggested, it is possible for us to provide blocks of static IP's under certain circumstances and this would need to be discussed with our business team on 0800 328 4626.

There's also further information on IP blocks and a link to a form which you'll need to request the block (the bottom link) here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/understanding-your-ip-address/

Hope this helps,

Dave