cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Blocks and Plusnet Hub One

lukec
Dabbler

Static IP Blocks and Plusnet Hub One

It appears that PN support are unable to explain how to configure their router to make use of static IPs.
Could anyone confirm that the "Plusnet Hub One" is capable of making use of a /30 static address allocation?
rgds
lukec
9 REPLIES 9
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Static IP Blocks and Plusnet Hub One

I don't have  Hub One, so I'm just making an educated guess here in case it helps...
I think the Hub One is simply a rebadged BT Home Hub 5, so I'd expect it works mostly the same way, and I'm guessing you've maybe got a wireless printer or something else that needs to be on a static IP, hence the question.
I'd expect that once you login the Hub One, you'll have an "Advanced Settings" tab at the top of the page. Once you click that there'll be a "Home Network" tab on the line below. Once you go in there you should be able to select one of the detected devices and configure it and at that point you should be able to tell it to always use the same IP. It's still using DHCP, but you've essentially made the IP lease permanent so the same IP is always allocated to the MAC address every time it connects.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Although I too don't have a Hub One, I'm almost certain that you cannot configure it for a block of public IP addresses.  The question has cropped up before regarding the BT Home Hub family (On which the PN Hub One is based) and the answer seems to have always been 'No'
lukec
Dabbler

Nope - The PN Hub 1 is not a rebadged BT Hub5
The Plusnet Hub 1 seems to be an early version of the BT Hub series, (but version 1 probably)
It cannot support static IP addressing on a device on the "Home Network" single static on the outside is all it can do. As I say PN support do not seem to know this yet.
The BT Hub 5 can, it has a "Business Network" that can use "multiNAT" ie a  /29 or /28 network...however it can also support  a /30 that can be provided by PN Business DSL (although fiddly to configure) - avoids having to provide RIPE request.
So a device inside the network can have a static IP address, which PN do provide. i.e. Not the RFC1918 address blocks that are usually used for the DHCP service on the device.
Just ensure MTU is set to 1488
thx
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

As lukec says a bt hub5 (with business firmware) can indeed do the above, the plusnet hub 1 which IS a rebadged homehub5 http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/11/uk-isp-plusnet-launch-new-hub-one-fibre-router-and-self... and the 2 home versions, type A and B, cannot.
lukec
Dabbler

ian007 - I stand corrected on that one, and thanks for the link...There's more useful info there than PN could provide me...
A shame that, with a requirement for "static IPs" (multinat in BTH5 parlance), that PN didn't tell me that I could not use their device...
Having moved from BT to PN (ignorant of the ownership att) I had a BTH5 to play with...
Took 4 days and multiple calls...got there in the end though.
rgds
crd

I just got into this without knowing i will encounter this issue.

So i am with PN as buisness customer and i have a PN Hub One.

I just requested a 4 IP-Block and i got it.

Basicly i cannot use it because the PN Hub One is not capable to assign a IP from the block set i was given to my computer?

So the best option is to get a BT Hub5 ? Will that have the capability to set a IP from the blocks given to my computer ?

Also what version of the BT Hub 5 will do the job ? I saw online Type A and B... ?Huh

I just reviving this old topic because PN has zero support about these IP block setups.

Some advice would be great. Thanks

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I expect a BT Business Hub might do it. I think the BT HomeHub 5 firmware will have much the same limitations as the Plusnet Hub One, both being intended for home use.

crd

I just ordered a BT Business Hub 5, i was reading about it and it should do what i need.

yts

I just ordered a BT Business Hub 5, i was reading about it and it should do what i need.

Did this solve the issue? Did you use a BT Business Hub with a plusnet fibre connection and a static IP block, and assign separate IPs to different elements within your network? If so, are there any pitfalls to be aware of?