Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds slower than guaranteed

FIXED
cerobinson

Speeds slower than guaranteed

Hi,

I moved to plusnet fibre in July 21 and have never received the speed I was promised when I oringinally signed up. During the signup procedure I was sent an email that states the following:

Your estimated line speed range is from 38 - 40 Megabits per second and your minimum guaranteed speed is 30.9Mbps 

My Plusnet Hub shows my connected speed as follows:

Downstream:18.96 Mbps
Upstream:1.096 Mbps

When I log into my plusnet account I am confronted with a message that says.

"An error has occurred - You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress."

This message seems odd as I haven't changed anything with my account since July of last year. Below this message it shows the following information which is completely different to that originally offered.

• Product: Unlimited (Contracted)
  • Estimated Download Range: 8 - 16Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 1Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 5.9Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 78Mbps

Can someone from plusnet please look into my account and see if there is anything wrong with the way it is set up and make any suggestion as to what I should do given that the guaranteed speed I was promised and the guaranteed speed shown on my plusnet account are so wildly different?

Many thanks,
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Speeds slower than guaranteed

@cerobinson That almost seems to suggest you are on ADSL, on a very good line, but I hope I am wrong.

Can you please post the following:- BT Broadband  (obscuring your phone number), the 'Additional Diagnostics' from BTW Performance Tester , and your Hubs Help Desk page. This may give us a clue as to the problem.

John
cerobinson

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I would agree that the speeds I'm getting feel like ADSL and I would agree with you apart from the fact that the email I have from plusnet during signup says the following

Unlimited Fibre Broadband: �7.77 per month for 24 months

Anyway, attached are the diagnostics screens you have asked for:

Many thanks

jab1
Legend

There is something horribly wrong with your connection. The BT checker, although a little out of date, is reporting that you are still on an ADSL connection, as is the speed checker, and your Hub page is showing a horrible D/S noise margin, as well as ADSL speeds.

I will try and prod @adam945 / the Help Team to have a look. If they don't respond today, I would ring in Monday morning and ask the agent to have a really good look at your account - it has never been changed to FTTC.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@cerobinson John ( @jab1 ) is correct, you are still on ADSL!

The Help desk details confirm it at Line 24 - Modulation G.992.5

Your account details are very strange , Product is still ADSL ( Unlimited ) but your Current Line speed is 78Mb.

That tends to indictate that the order processing for Fibre failed at some point.

You need one of the PlusNet help team to see this thread and to sort out what happened...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@cerobinson  Why have you waited so long to question your low speeds. You have never been upgraded to fibre. It should have been obvious that because your speed had not increased something had gone wrong with the upgrade.

cerobinson

Because I am 78 years old and I haiven't seen anyone in months due to the pandemic, as such my son has only just been able to question my broadband speeds.

jab1
Legend

@cerobinson Good answer - I'll keep my eyes on this and give it a push if needed.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @cerobinson and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see we hadn't processed your fibre order when you asked to upgrade your service. 

I've now manually placed the order and we should be able to confirm the completion date within 24-48 hours.

If you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with, feel free to get back to me and I'll be happy to help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi @cerobinson 

Just to follow up. I can see your fibre order's completed now and your account should change across to reflect this before midnight tonight, but you should be able to use your fibre service straight away.

Let me know how it goes!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cerobinson

Thank you to everyone who has helped with this. I can confirm my broadband is now on fibre and is giving me the speeds I would expect.

The community has been incredibly helpful I really appreciate all of your help.

rubix1942
Dabbler

Glad you got it sorted.  Unfortunately despite receiving an email stating i haven't got the speeds guaranteed, its been nothing but a giant headache and now they tell me it will cost £200 to cancel and move elsewhere, oh and btw we aren't giving you the rewards card we promised.

lovely people.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @rubix1942 and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having, both technically and with a Reward Card. I can see that a complaint has been raised with our High Level Escalations Team. A case handler will soon be assigned who will be in touch.

The complaint can be found here, if you need to add any further comments at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds