cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds not quite what they should be

TNicholas
Hooked

Speeds not quite what they should be

I grabbed the fibre unlimited deal while it was available since I needed an upgrade on my broadband and I was given an estimated 60.9Mb/s minimum download speed and a 15-17Mb/s upload

Instead I'm getting 31Mb/s down and 1.8Mb/s Up. I've contacted support a few times, an engineer has been sent out to correct a battery fault.. but all that did was cause my connection to become spotty and the down and up to stay the exact same. Do I just need to get a new line all together or is there another fault that hasn't been figured out?
10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Speeds not quite what they should be

@TNicholas  What product have you got? Unlimited fibre is a 40 Mbps down 10 Mbps up service. Fibre extra is the faster 80/20 version. Your download speed looks as if you are on the lower speed service. As for the upload I have seen a number of posts on the forum recently where Plusnet for some unknown reason are ordering the incorrect 40 down 2Mbps up product.😲

You will need to get Plusnet to sort out the product you are receiving as it appears to be wrong.

TNicholas
Hooked

I'm on Fibre Extra and I was thinking there might have been a miscommunication with my package but nobody has said anything on that through support.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@TNicholas Are you able to log into the router to find the modem sync speeds, it it's a HUB 1 its on diagnostics or helpdesk page ( I think) I never use ISP supplied hardware myself. 

This will show your actual connection speeds to check the product you are on.

TNicholas
Hooked

Signal attenuation is 31.0 - 20.9
Line attenuation 27.6 - 21.0

That's all it really says on speed rates
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @TNicholas 

These are the relevant fields. Troubleshooting >Helpdesk

6. Data rate:  
7. Maximum data rate:  
8. Noise margin:  
9. Line attenuation:  
10. Signal attenuation:  

Hope this helps

Dan.

TNicholas
Hooked

Data Rate : 1837/33098
Maximum Date Rate : 1821/35514
Noise Margin : 5.7/6.2
Line Attenuation : 27.6/21.0
Signal Attenuation : 30.8/20.9
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @TNicholas 

Data Rate : 1837/33098 is in line with your first post where you stated I'm getting 31Mb/s down and 1.8Mb/s Up. Something is indeed wrong with your speeds.

As @RealAleMadrid indicated Plusnet for some unknown reason are ordering the incorrect 40 down 2Mbps up product and maybe your upgrade went wrong or didn't happen!?

You could wait for a staff member to see this post or raise a fault herefault.plus.net

Dan

TNicholas
Hooked

Thanks for the info. I'll get in touch with them soon.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@TNicholas  Those data rates don't look good at all, if you were on the 40/2 product I would expect rates at those speeds but you are way down, the upload is very poor so something else is wrong. The speeds are nowhere near the estimates you had.

A few questions for you. Is this the first time you have had a fibre connection? Do you have a filtered faceplate on your master socket or are you using a plug in dangly filter? Are there telephone extension sockets in the house, in use or not?

The first thing to try is to remove the front of the master socket, it may be a couple of screws or if a later version just clipped on.

This should reveal the test socket. If you connect the router to the test socket using a filter then see if the data rates you gave earlier have changed. If they haven't changed there is some other fault present.

TNicholas
Hooked

I've already tried this and it gave the same results, I'm starting to think the issue may be a problem with the package

EDIT: But yes this is the first time we've had fibre in the household