Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds have again dropped!

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speeds have again dropped!

I'm also experiencing speed drops which I don't seem  able to fix.

This is happening since "upgrading" from 38/10 to 80/20. Very rarely had any issues with 38/10 which gave consistent 37/9.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6967422506.png

Wired connection (above result) and wireless gives similar results. I'm just out of the 14 days "cooling off" for a new minimum term so not now in a position to cancel and revert to 38/10!

diggerdr
Grafter

I did ask about falling back to the old tariff but was told that can take 10 Days so  i am hoping rather than do that they will resolve the matter.

sheffpete
Rising Star

Chased PN re my reported fault and they confirm its an Openreach issue caused most likely at provider switch .... why that should be I dont know ...

sheffpete
Rising Star

OK so was told OR would make the needed changes Friday, but today (Saturday) I now have approx 7 mbps down and 8 upload .... can anyone suggest how I can escalate the issue ?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Equipment, connections do go wrong. Despite what some people think, we are still many miles from perfection!

If it was me though, I'd provide extra info on the ticket. I've always found that the main problem is getting OR to do their stuff. All Plusnet and others can do is prod! The last fault I had took just over a week with 3 visits (one to the house and 2 during the following week to the cabinet) to resolve.

All I can say is I have been where you are. Mine turned out to be a bad connection in the cabinet. Your experience might vary though. As to fibre extra, no issues here to report. Lots of streaming etc without any buffering / stutters. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
sheffpete
Rising Star

Thanks for your thoughts, whats strange in my case is that I had been with BT and had no issues so I can only imagine its either the connection swap onto PN or router maybe, but out of evenings / weekend I get 30mbps download with the same connections .... strange, pretty consistent times when speed drops off ....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues

@feet

Our tests aren't finding any issues, but there seems to be some work going on at your exchange. Our suppliers are adding extra infrastructure as a few of the VLAN's are running hot/experiencing congestion issues.

Testing your line now, your circuit doesn't seem to be on a hot VLAN so it's possible that your circuit was before.

When/if the issue happens again, please can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end?

This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

@sheffpete

It looks like our suppliers have identified your circuit is on a hot VLAN at your exchange and they're moving your circuit over to a cooler one. Can you let us know how your speeds look within 48 hours?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sheffpete
Rising Star

Hi, Thanks for taking a look at my issue, I can advise that I spoke to Gareth Butcher this morning, who immediately understood my issue (unlike one of his colleagues who wanted to book an engineer visit even though out of busy times my connection was fine !) 

Like you he spotted I was on a congested vlan and confirmed I would be swapped asap to a cooler one.

So thats great but I guess you might wonder why PN / BT Wholesale wasn't aware that the the vlan was already v busy before connecting yet another (me) user .....

regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So thats great but I guess you might wonder why PN / BT Wholesale wasn't aware that the the vlan was already v busy before connecting yet another (me) user .....

We wouldn't know which VLAN your service would be configured on until the order completes.

When we place an order with our suppliers, I believe it's configured via their automated systems.

Please let us know how your speeds look tonight.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sheffpete
Rising Star

Just seems a strange that you would add another user to an already congested vlan and not even monitor performance but rather wait for a dis-satisfied customer to complain when speeds are not as advertised / promised  ....

re current speed, at 18.00 I am still getting close to 30mbps so looking good so far 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just seems a strange that you would add another user to an already congested vlan and not even monitor performance but rather wait for a dis-satisfied customer to complain when speeds are not as advertised / promised  ....

It's not really something within our control I'm afraid.

re current speed, at 18.00 I am still getting close to 30mbps so looking good so far 🙂

I'm glad to hear that!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sheffpete
Rising Star

Well speeds held steady around 30mbps last night so looking good, maybe weekend will be a more valid test ...

Only slight concern going forward is that if the PN / BT process is just to add new users to a vlan without any capacity / performance check, presumably new users can be added to the connection I am using and gradually drag the speed down ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well speeds held steady around 30mbps last night so looking good, maybe weekend will be a more valid test ...

Keep us posted.

Only slight concern going forward is that if the PN / BT process is just to add new users to a vlan without any capacity / performance check, presumably new users can be added to the connection I am using and gradually drag the speed down ?

Our suppliers capacity management team review VLANs and add extra infrastructure where required.

So hopefully this isn't an issue again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sheffpete
Rising Star

But my point is that the capacity management failed as I was placed on an already very busy VLAN, so casts some doubt over the effectiveness dont you think ? Anyway lets hope it doesn't become another issue.

feet
Grafter

My speed down again. Used BTW, down 22.39, up 6.41 mbps.  Cry