feet
Grafter

Speeds have again dropped!

Speeds dropped AGAIN!  By a third.

47 REPLIES 47
diggerdr
Grafter

Re: Speeds have again dropped!

Mine too im down to less than 10mbps on a 76mbps connection. its ridiculous i cant game kids cant stream movies. its every evening and now weekends. But its ok the bill is still getting paid so plusnet are happy Angry

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

@feet Welcome to the Forum.

Plusnet don't monitor the performance of lines so they don't yet know that you have a problem.  Your post may get picked up by Plusnet staff here but they are thin on the ground, particularly at weekends, so it is probably safer to report this as a fault. That, at least, gets the problem into the queue for action.

Am I correct that you are testing the connection speed using a wired connection (if wifi, there are some other things you should try yourself first)? If so, I would be inclined to run through the troubleshooter at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

This involves doing a BT speed test. Make sure that you run the additional tests so that the results are stored on the BT server. If the speed changes during the day, run the test during a low speed episode rather than when the service is OK!

Let us know how you get on please.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I have just done speed test on the http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

however it showed some very slow results, I restarted my router and thinks are back to normal, or the speed test is faulty.

Try another tester such as  https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/

you do not have to fill out any details for it to run.

diggerdr
Grafter

142ms latency 5.9mbps down 17.1 up on the test you linked to me @LifeonMars

Im convinced my new connection has congestion of some sort as this only happens on evenings and weekends when traffic will be heavy. Had i known i would have stayed on the other package as that was good for years we just needed the extra speed for gaming.

sheffpete
Rising Star

Hi diggerdr,

Just moved from BT to PN and have noticed a a download speed reduction from 30 mbps to approx 5 at evenings and weekends (peak times ?), just wondered if someone has contacted you to attempt a fix ?

I have waited the suggested 10 days for line to select best reliable speed, never had an issue when with BT, so line connection etc must be fine ... guess its over to PN to check ?

diggerdr
Grafter

No not yet, all i was told is that the line is ok. it was ok for years on unlimited broadband then i upgraded early last week to extra and its been nothing but issues at peak time since.

feet
Grafter

I'm still down a third.

I had an engineer out last time.  So line should be ok, unless my line has been rerouted?  This is very frustrating, getting fed up with PN.  I know they rely on Openreach, a company that seems unable to fulfil it's role on supplying a reliable service to the population of the whole UK.  Never mind Openreach will be able to go cap in hand to the exchequer for another handout. 

sheffpete
Rising Star

Mine currently 1.5 m download, almost 6 up .... not happy !

feet
Grafter

I'm back up to quoted speeds tonight.  Smiley

diggerdr
Grafter

Ours only increases at 11:30pm I’m hoping to have some info tomorrow.
sheffpete
Rising Star

Yes mine is fine this morning which tends to point me towards some PN setting problem, some crude attempt at throttling maybe ?

diggerdr
Grafter

As far as I’m aware they don’t or shouldn’t throttle the unlimited packages. I believe the issue is more related to congestion on the line. I don’t actually think this is an issue plusnet can control but more a problem openreach need to rectify because it is affecting the reputation of PN whom I can honestly say has never let me down in 6 years or so could be even longer.
sheffpete
Rising Star

Dont see that being my issue as I was with BT for the previous two years without issue and they obviously use the same Openreach links and equipment.

Reported the problem I have and the guy on the chat session said he could see a circuit issue from the historical logs so was passing to the fault team.

diggerdr
Grafter

Ok fair point. My connection has always been with PN and only became faulty when we upgraded to extra.