cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds getting slower and slower..

serotonin

Speeds getting slower and slower..

Hi all,
I've been with plusnet a few years now on the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre package, always been happy with the service provided. When I originally went over to fibre I had 40 M/bps down and 15 M/bps up, I moved house end of 2013, unfortunately living further away from the cabinet.
Because of this when I called to 'move' my fibre I was told the maximum I would get would be 22 M/bps down 10 M/bps up. Hard one to swallow but that's how it is. Even though it dropped just shy of 20 M/bps it was still very good, no buffering on streaming and downloads didn't seem to take much longer, so I was happy.
Past few months I have noticed my speeds creeping slowly downward, downloads taking longer, excess buffering on YouTube etc. regularly carried out speed tests to keep a tab on it.
My girlfriend started to use landline a lot more and noticed noise on the line and could barely hear anything. We had a line fault, reported it to BT and they repaired this for us. All good I thought, that was the problem. Nope, speeds identical, still slow. I carried out some speedtests as a new customer with rival fibre suppliers and sure enough they quote 22-32 M/bps on my phone line.
So why has my fibre speed with Plusnet dropped from 22 to 6-10 M/bps download and upload 4-5M/bps?
I've carried out all the relevant checks, restarting equipment, checking router has latest firmware, no extension leads, using main socket, speedtests on all different devices (pc, laptop, phone, tablets) registering same speeds etc etc.
I'm due to renew my contract end of next month, if I can get faster speeds for same money elsewhere I can't see why I should re-sign up to a new deal?
Cheers,
Paul
I've attached a typical speedtest and dslchecker screengrab.

2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speeds getting slower and slower..

Hi Serotonin,
Sorry to hear about the problem with this.
I've run a full set of line tests and diagnostics and don't see any obvious causes for what you've mentioned.
It would be a good idea to report this over at http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
serotonin

Re: Speeds getting slower and slower..

Hi Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to carry out the tests.
I have been over to http://faults.plus.net and followed the test procedures and reported the issue there.
Thanks again,
Paul