cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds below my expected speeds

gingerryno

Speeds below my expected speeds

Hola

I've been with PN for a number of years and I've had this issues since I first became a customer. I just couldn't be bothered to deal with it. :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

As the title says, I am experiencing speeds on my FTTC connection below the minimum guaranteed speed stated on my profile. Its only 5Mb below but I am sure I should be getting much more. Below is the stats given to me from my profile.

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 48 - 68Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 14 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 43.6Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 38.2Mbps

This is the information given to me by the btwholesale availability checker.

https://i.imgur.com/7ox3a5m.png

Doing a speed test, whether it is wired or wireless, gives me a download speed of around 35-36Mbps and an upload of <10Mbps.

Is it possible for someone to perform a GEA test and post the results for me? I'm trying to get to the bottom of where this issue is.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Speeds below my expected speeds

@gingerryno 

Looking at your speeds begs the question of whether you're paying for fibre extra 80/20 but only connected to the fibre 40/10 service.

One to check with Plusnet?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gingerryno

It does appear that way. I was hoping a GEA test would confirm what they have me on or identify some issue with the line.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It is a shame the rest of the DSL checker page was not shown, it may have shown a bridge tap.

However, it is worth asking if you have a filtered master socket - and whether you have tried checking your synch speeds on the hidden test socket? Logging into the router, going to the advanced/troubleshooting/Help Desk tab - assuming its a Hub 1.

gingerryno

What info was missing from the speed test? Here is another one https://www.speedtest.net/result/9982606564 if you want to take a look.

I don't have a filtered master socket.

I have removed the faceplate and connected straight into the test socket with my inline filter.

At the moment, I am not running the PN router. I am using a Draytek ADSL Modem in bridge mode and its connected to a Unifi USG so I can't get the synch speeds without digging out my old PN router as Unifi can't get that information from the modem.

I will try digging it out later to provide the stats.

Its worth pointing out I was getting the same speeds when I was using the original router. I just couldn't be bothered with the whole its your equipment speech when speaking to customer services which is why I am hoping someone from PN will run a GEA test for me. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The bottom half of the DSL checker would have shown the latest observed (synch) speed and may have indicated a problem with your wiring.

The speed test in your last post shows an upload speed of over 10Mbps suggesting you are on the 80/20 package.

A check of the sync and max attainable speeds now you are in the test socket will confirm or not if your internal wiring is causing the slow down. If so a filtered master socket will sort it for you.

Getting PN to do it, or even get a GEA test these days might take a while!!