cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds and Fibre Extra - Please Help, PlusNet

StuartChadwick

Speeds and Fibre Extra - Please Help, PlusNet

Looking for some advice around line speeds, and perhaps some friendly intervention from a PlusNet tech willing to take a challenge!  😉
I am on PlusNet Fibre and getting speeds of about 38Mb downstream. Under the Fibre product that I am on, this is the maximum. To get faster, I need to move to Fibre Extra. Of course, at present I don't know if my line speed is limited by the package I am on or if that's genuinely all it's capable of.
I checked the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker and it says my phone number, my cabinet should get something around the 50 mark. OK, not huge numbers higher, but higher.
FTTC Range A (Clean) 55.3 35.7 13.9 8.3 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 46.5 27.4 13.7 6.1 -- Available
Also, when I was on non-Fibre ADSL, this checker predicted 5Mb down and I consistently synched at 8Mb and never dropped. Rock solid max speed. Therefore, my track record is that the ADSL Checker underestimates my house and has done for a few years since the house was built.
On BT.COM's site, it says up to 55Mb is possible if I was with them.
So, heartened that I could get faster, and possibly that I may even exceed these numbers, I called PlusNet to move to the 'Extra' product. They told me the 'Extra' wasn't available because "my line has not been enabled for it" and that "the BT Checker is unreliable and should not be used" and that "their checker is what they have to go by". Apparently their checker says my line can only do 35Mb. The fact I am getting 38Mb would seem to de-bunk that. The PlusNet agent advised that it's BT Wholesale who prevent the Extra product being available for them to sell to me. However, I've been told that while the "PlusNet computer may say 'no', a friendly PlusNet agent can put me on the Fibre Extra via manual processes if they take pity on me". OK PlusNet, here goes...I've been with you for years, and Metronet before PlusNet acquired it - yes, THAT long. I've brought loads of clients to you, as demonstrated by my referral discounts. I have sung your praises, committed to contracts and have everything on my telephony with you. In short, I'm not a bad customer, all told.
Oh, and I AM from Yorkshire, even though I live darn sarf now, so THAT must count for summat??!  😉
So please can you take another look at this case and take the manual steps to get round your computer "saying no" and at least let's experiment with what my line is really capable of.
All help welcome.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speeds and Fibre Extra - Please Help, PlusNet

The answer is that Plusnet work off the lower of the clean ranges - in your case 35.7Mb - and their system (NOT BT) won't let you order the higher product
When you say you are getting 38Mb/s is this from a speed test. Can you report the BT IP profile as that will indicate whether you are hitting the 40Mb/s limit
StuartChadwick

Quote from: Oldjim
The answer is that Plusnet work off the lower of the clean ranges - in your case 35.7Mb - and their system (NOT BT) won't let you order the higher product
When you say you are getting 38Mb/s is this from a speed test.

So I am at the mercy of a friendly PlusNet Tech over-riding their system manually? Thought so. Let's hope they're feeling friendly and helpful today Pwwwwease!
Quote from: Oldjim
Can you report the BT IP profile as that will indicate whether you are hitting the 40Mb/s limit

Probably - how do I get that info?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do gives it immediately (speed result will be wrong)
StuartChadwick

Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.53 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 32.11 Mbps-45.88 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 45.88 Mbps

OK, so I read that as being not a massive extra but something. So the limit is my PlusNet config.?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That would seem to indicate that you  are on the 40/20 product which is a Plusnet limited 80/20 (the upstream IP profile would confirm that)
Easy way to check is the Plusnet Current Line Speed - see my sig for a link - it should be 40Mb/s if I am correct and 45.8Mb/s if I am wrong
Which leaves the question - are you willing to pay £5 per month more for a speed increase of 5Mb/s
StuartChadwick

For the sake of a fiver, yes, I'd take that punt. PlusNet is good value so an extra fiver is not unreasonable to give me the chance of faster speeds.
However, it looks like I can't get a friendly PlusNet agent onto this thread and calling them doesn't gain the desired outcome, so I guess I'm blocked unless/until I move ISP.
Come on PlusNet - help me out here - for a longstanding, loyal and lead-generating customer?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I've tested your line. Here are your sync speeds:
Downstream Speed 47.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.4 Mbps
It is a Plusnet limitation at the moment, so sorry that you were informed otherwise. It requires permissions that we don't provide at agent level, but I'll get that changed the Fibre Extra for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
StuartChadwick

Many thanks Matty - appreciated. It's not a huge leap but at least I know my PlusNet product isn't limiting anything.
Now all I need to do is get BT to put a cabinet closer to my house...or perhaps it would be easier to physically move my house, knowing the glacial pace that BT move at.  😉