Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed to Line Length Query

oddbin
Hooked

Speed to Line Length Query

Afternoon all

I was hoping to pick some of your brains over a speed issue I might have. I have had FTTC for over a year now with Plusnet. I have been on the cabinet since it was upgraded at the same time. Early on I was reaching speeds of 49meg down and 9 up. Over time this dropped to 47/7.5. That seemed fine and seemed to be within the range expected for 600-650m line length. Since around about October the speeds have been steadily dropping so that now if it breaks 40/6 I am surprised. There was a period before Christmas and just after where it was sitting in the 28/4 region. Nothing had changed in my network at all at this period.

The line speed estimates all still say 47 for my line with a range of 38-49 which I know I am technically within but at £38-ish a month for a slowly deteriorating line it feels a bit much. 

Is this just down to congestion and a like it or lump it thing or is there actually something amiss? I am honestly stumped.

Any help would be really appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Speed to Line Length Query

First of all do the basic fault finding tests. Take the front plate off the BT master socket (you may need to remove two screws). In behind you will find the test socket. With no filter, plug a corded phone in and dial 17070 then select Option 2, the quiet line test. This should be silent with no buzzes or clicks etc. If there is any noise you need to report a PHONE fault.

If this test is OK then plug in the filter and router (no phone). Using an Ethernet cable connect to a computer and do the BT Wholesale speed test (http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/). If it is slower then anticipated then carry on to the further diagnostics page. If the speed is up to what you used to get then the problem is within your property.

If this is the case then report here with further information such as whether you are testing with a wired or wireless connection and which router you are using.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Diagnostics aren't revealing any issues. 

I'd try what Baldrick1 has suggested and do let us know how it goes. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
oddbin
Hooked

Will Do. So far everything seems to be behaving as normal. I have managed to dig out a spare router that I am going to hook up fresh tonight and run the tests again, see what happens. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, give us a shout when you've been able to give that a try. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team