cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed suddenly dropped

emzywoo1
Hooked

Speed suddenly dropped

My download speed is currently 0.65Mbps on wifi and 3.31 using the ethernet cable. I have fibre - not touched the setup, no one else shares my wifi, usually get good speeds. Any idea why? 

1 REPLY 1
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Speed suddenly dropped

Hi @emzywoo1 , sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Checking your connection from this side and as seen below we can see 35Mbps download and 6.5Mbps upload getting to the router however upon running this test it has flagged up 2 potential issues that could be behind your loss of speed:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

DateHOT VLAN(Yes/No)

26-09-2018 YES

25-09-2018 YES

24-09-2018 YES

23-09-2018 YES

22-09-2018 YES

21-09-2018 YES

20-09-2018 YES

This first, being a problem detected on your line and upon testing solely just the line it has flagged a external fault in which I have raised with our suppliers to investigate further. They have advised us of a estimated response time of 28/09/18 by 23:59 although this is the latest they would look into the issue and they could do so sooner. I have raised a fault ticket on your account in regards to this raised fault which can be found here.

Although it flagged up, I'm not entirely sure this external line fault is behind the throughput issue you are seeing as the other problem I've found is basically a capacity/overheating issue at the exchange on the equipment your line goes through. Which would explain lower speeds/throughput on your side especially during peak times. The good news when checking however is there is planned work to be carried out to replace/expand the equipment at the exchange in order to reduce this high work load and stop the speed issues. This work is scheduled for 28/09/18 so I'd advise monitoring the connection your side come Friday evening/Saturday and see if there's any improvements with the speeds you are seeing.

Let us know how it goes.