Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slump

Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

Speed slump

Hi,

Until about the end of October I was achieving throughput of about 34Mbps down and 8Mbps up but now my router (Hub One) only has a line speed of about 24 down and 3.5 up.

Until I restarted my router this evening I was only achieving 12Mbps downloads. Afterwards I got 20, then 18, then 16.

See attached screenshots for details. These results were obtained over a wired connection to the router. Is there anything I should try next. I've changed the microfilter already.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Speed slump

Thanks for your post @Andrew_Hardisty.

We're sorry to hear of those fluctuating speeds.

We've checked the line and can see that the connection profile in our systems was set too low for the product you're on. We've just amended this to the correct one and you should notice the speeds pick up within the next 4 or so hours.

Please let us know how you get on with it.

Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

Just to provide an update on the outcome of this:

Plusnet support kindly raised a support ticket in response to my original post on 6th December.The router regained its previous ~8Mbps upstream line speed soon after midnight on the 10th (router lost and regained broadband  connection while I was using internet).  I'm not sure what if anything they did at their end after that as they were waiting for me to get back to them after asking me to try the test socket behind the master socket faceplate but I noticed that sometime over the Christmas period the upstream speed also recovered to what it had been before.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the update @Andrew_Hardisty 

I'm happy to see your upload speed has improved, there's nothing we can do our side to affect this so it looks like it's gone back up by itself. Possibly as a result of the DLM (dynamic line management) software at the cabinet.

Our tests however are showing your download speed to be artificially restricted at 35mbps by DLM so I've requested a DLM reset which should go through within the next 3 working days.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

Hi,

I'm back again. My router has been connecting at only around 13Mbps down / 4Mbps up since about the start of this month. It's also disconnecting and reconnecting the broadband connection every 1 - 2 days, often in the early hours of the morning but it's just done it at about 8.30 pm today. Is there an automatic system that's detecting my speed is lower than it should be and attempting to negotiate a faster speed?

There was one day last month where the router reported 39.95Mbps down which is the fastest I've ever seen. Can you try whatever you did the last time to restore the expected speeds please?

Thank you

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi Andrew_Hardisty

Sorry to hear of the problems with your broadband.

Having performed a test on the line, a fault has been picked up. This appears to be external and I have reported it to our suppliers. They have provided an estimated response time of 17.03.2020 and I will continue to monitor this via a ticket on your account, which you can view here. Unfortunately, this time an engineer is required as this cannot be fixed remotely.

Should you have any questions in the meantime, please do let us know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team