Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slow down over years.

FIXED
nitrams69
Grafter

Speed slow down over years.

Hi I've been with plusnet since 2012 the estimated speed on original order was 55 but it connected at 60 for a long time.

Now it sits at 48 and now all estimates are much lower , why is the line slowing down? Can it be increased or do i have anyway of checking for a line issue.

Roll on full fibre.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Speed slow down over years.

@nitrams69 

It's called crosstalk and is caused by more and more of your neighbours taking up broadband and also many using streaming services. Their signals get coupled with yours in the multicore cables between your FTTC cabinet and local junction box. This increases the background noise on your line, which results in your speed reducing.

As you say, roll on the day when the job is done properly and we get FTTH.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've tested the line for you and we're not seeing signs of any issues, the downstream speeds are getting close to dropping below estimates so it would be worth seeing if things decline any further and getting us to run another "GEA service test" if they do so we can advise if it's something we can look at as a fault for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nitrams69
Grafter

Was my lowest estimate 47mb and where can i find it.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @nitrams69, thanks for getting back to us.

I can confirm when checking the estimates for your line they are: 54.1 - 76. When testing your connection today I can see 48.9Mbps getting to the router which certainly hints something is out of place somewhere.

Our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

If that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase above the low end estimates. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here
Feel free to let us know when you're in the set-up and we'll happily re-test from this side for change.

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to add further, before closing the testing I had done on your line I've spotted currently your line is being banded on our suppliers side to 0.128M-49M Downstream.
This could very well explain the speeds we are seeing our side and your side and therefore I've requested the banding be removed which usually actioned in the following 48-72 hours. I'd advise then to hold off on the own domain checks for now and see how the speeds are looking Thursday/Friday morning. If you're still seeing under the 54.1 lower end estimate then I'd recommend running through the checks above. Let us know how it goes. 

nitrams69
Grafter

Hi just restarted the router and it's still connecting at 48mb has the banding been reset before i start all the trouble shooting.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @nitrams69

My apologies but it looks like this may have been missed by the team that deals with these requests - I've sent a chase for this now and my colleague @BD will let you know once that's been processed as per his original request.

Thanks

Dave

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Hi  @nitrams69, in regards to your broadband speed.

I've checked your conenction today now the period to unband the line has passed. I'm happy to say we're now seeing 61.3Mbps download getting to the rotuer from this side which falls within your 54.1 - 76Mbps estiamtes for the line.
How are the speeds now looking from your side?

nitrams69
Grafter

Hi speeds have increased and im getting good downloads pleased it was something simple. I presumed it was just slowing due to more people connected so i'm very pleased.

Thanks for your help.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @nitrams69, thanks for getting back to us and confirming everything looking fine from your side now also. By all means if there's anything we can help you with moving forwards then please don;t hesitate to get back in touch.