cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed significantly lower than minimum guarranteed speed.

Twosoc
Hooked

Speed significantly lower than minimum guarranteed speed.

The connection speeds have always been poorer than the same package on Virgin, however recently the download speed has been in the low teens.  My package says it should be 38-40mbps and the current line speed should be 38.4mbps, however the connection is terrible and an independent speed checker consistently says 13mbps.  I can't get in tough with anyone about this and cannot email. So I have resorted to a forum post.  I read somewhere that there is no email contact as it can attract spam, I have a feeling its to avoid having to deal with issues.  If the speeds are not going to improve I will be switching as soon as possible

12 REPLIES 12
Twosoc
Hooked

Re: Speed significantly lower than minimum guarranteed speed.

No answer? 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Twosoc
Hooked

I've tried to do this, however, as I don't own a landline phone I can't listen to the dial tone, so can't proceed.

BorderReiver
Dabbler

Got the same problem here. I'm supposed to have a "guaranteed" download speed of over 45 mbs and for the last few weeks it's at very best been 26 mbs and sometimes as low as low teens. Currently it's only 21 mbs. I've tried Plusnet's online problem solver and the best they can come up with is to try another router. I don't have another router and even if I bought one (and they are expensive), I need Plusnet's permission to use it. I've just about had enough and am seriously considering changing provider when my contract ends. Good luck, you'll need it.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@BorderReiver You can use any suitable router and you do not need Plusnet's permission to do so, not sure where you got that idea from. I have never used a Plusnet supplied router. You may have a problem but there is no guarantee changing provider will make any difference. You can get used modem/routers such as the BT Home Hub 6 on a well known auction site for around £20 or less if you are lucky and that is a lot better than the Plusnet Hub1.

BorderReiver
Dabbler

Thank you. It sounds like a good idea to buy a different router and I'll look into the BT one you mentioned. I used to get 35mbs-40mbs constantly, but things have slowed considerably, and I've never been anywhere near the guaranteed service. I did read that the routers provided free of charge are very basic, so a change might do the job. I was wondering if Plusnet was slowing down some current customers lines to give a better service to new customers. With a previous provider, I regularly experienced a drop in service, which miraculously recovered after a complaint was filed.

Twosoc
Hooked

seems like a lot of people get better speeds when they complain, unfortunately not for me. and looks like they've given up responding too, I'm leaving as soon as my contract ends, the lack of contact details should tell me everything.  Just goes to show not all providers are created equal, back to virgin I go.

BorderReiver
Dabbler

Yes, I'm seriously considering changing now. Today I'm getting 25mbs instead of the guaranteed minimum 45 mbps and last week at one stage I was only getting 16 mbps. I did see something on the TV that Plusnet and others were having problems, but they should at least let their customers know and pull their fingers out and do something about it. Their standard reply about being charged a huge sum of money if a line test was carried out and a problem found to be on the customers property is designed to put us off asking for an engineer, and it does. Really bad customer service from Plusnet.

Becktheman

My speed has taken a few hits over the years from 72mb to less than the guaranteed minimum speed of 59mb. The profile has just been reduced from 59mb to 56.8mb without my knowledge. I contacted Plusnet by telephone and was advised that they could reduce my guaranteed speed as stated in the contract but when I asked for a copy he conferred with a colleague and agreed that it should be 59mb as stated in their email August 2019. A ticket has been raised and awaiting a reply and resolution within 30 days.

I have been with Plusnet for over 10 years (more likely 20 years) and disappointed by the unhappy customers who have noticed a decline in their speeds over a period of time.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c...

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for your post @Becktheman

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stormfuzz

I have been having issues that are very simular to this. What I have noticed on a lot of posts is the same response from Plusnet that has been cut and pasted but with no help what so ever.

"Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net "

I only joined in January so have a long contract left, but I am seriously considering leaving as soon as I can.

BorderReiver
Dabbler

Plusnet service is just getting worse. I was complaining about only getting low 20's mbps the other week. That would be great right now as I'm only getting 1.6 mbps. I've replace the filter and the cables and still the performance continues to drop away. I'm going to try setting up a new router next. It's pointless contacting Plusnet because they just come up with the standard "it's not our fault" reply. As soon as my contract is up, I'm off to another provider. You would think they would at least attempt to keep the customers happy by honouring promises.