cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed reset

BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Speed reset

At the beginning of 2020 I had speeds of approx 75/18 constantly.

At some point in 2020 the cable from my wall socket to my router get damaged slightly so that I had several disconnects per day for a week or so.

I finally replaced the cable but the max speed I get in speed tests is now around 62/15.

Whilst not awful, it would be good if there is anything that can be done to reset my line to give the higher speeds I was receiving before
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed reset

Hi there @BigHeadSmith I've just taken a look into this for you and can see DLM has already started to increase to 72.6mbps on the downstream so I've updated the profile on your account to match that. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Hi @adamwalker

Thank you for the quick response.

Will I need to rest my modem or wait a few days?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, no worried and no there's nothing you'd need to do on your side. Please give me a shout again if you're not seeing any change on your side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Unfortunately I've seen no difference.
Rebooted everything to be sure, but no change
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've taken a look into this for you and I think a throughput of 62mbps is about right for a sync speed of 72mbps, because there's what's known as retransmission enabled on your line in a high state, which is a form of error correction.

This would push your throughput down to a little lower to what it would normally be. The full profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-80M3dB with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection"

We can't manually adjust the settings of a fibre connection, but the dynamic line management (DLM) software should hopefully remove retransmission over the coming weeks if your line remains stable, though I can't guarantee it. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Thank you again.
Assuming there are no issues with the line, is it possible to force DLM to remove the retransmission error correction if it is not removed automatically?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Unfortunately we aren't able to manually remove retransmission or error correction from a fibre line. 

This would be solely handled by DLM. I can however change the stability profile from 'Stable' to 'Speed', which should influence DLM's decision making to prioritise speed at the potential expense of stability. 

If you're happy for me to make this change, let me know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Yes please change to speed.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

I have placed this request through and will update the profile tomorrow. It can take up to 14 days for DLM to make the changes so please let me know how it goes. 

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Thank you. I will monitor and check back in a few weeks
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

There does not appear to be any change over the past few weeks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to us @BigHeadSmith, I'm sorry you haven't seen a change. I have tested your line today and this shows that you're now on a speed profile, though can still see that retransmission is high. As mentioned we're not able to amend this I'm afraid so may just be a case of monitoring further. 

I'm really sorry about that. 

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
BigHeadSmith
Hooked

Good evening. Is someone able to check my line?
I ha e a speed test which runs every hour and up until 2 weeks ago it was consistently 60mbps down and 14mbps up without fail.
Upload is unchanged but download os erratic throughout the day quite often hitting 4-5mbps when we are out at work and there should be no activity on my network
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@BigHeadSmith Sounds like you have a problem! Quickest way to check is the auto-bot: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

John