cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems nothing done

Diorock4875
Hooked

Speed problems nothing done

OK why am I paying for a a minimum of 39meg when I'm getting 20meg?
If I restart the router I get 50meg then it slowly drops down to 17/20meg
The last Post I put up hasn't had a response for three weeks.
I have a brand new master socket installed
The line from outside goes straight into the master socket. I have tried various speed tests all the same. I'm testing wired not WiFi. tried different micro filters and cables no charge at al . I paid £160 to have the new master socket installed after being advised by plusnet this would sort out the problem.
My partner works from home and needs the Internet which I'm paying for the last time I phoned plusnet I was told 17/20 meg is more than adequate but I'm paying for a minimum of 39me .
The problem is not my side it's plusnets
I will be contacting you in the morning for the last time BEFORE I CONTACT THE OMBUDSMAN I'M NOT HAPPY
Yours Steven Evans
12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Speed problems nothing done

@Diorock4875 

You are probably right about the source of your problem being outside of your control but just a couple of queries. When you had a new master socket fitted did the technician not fit a filtered faceplate? If so you must not use dangly filters, just the DSL socket on the master.

Is the new master socket the latest type with a clip on faceplate? If so these have a reputation for some giving problems. You were asked previously to remove the faceplate and test with a filter in the test socket, did you do this?

Have you tried a different modem/router. Maybe if a Plusnet staffer picks this post up they will send you another to try. Complain to outside bodies if that will make you feel better but you might get more attention if you follow the Plusnet complaints procedure, see  https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

At the end of the day the outcome from this will probably be that Plusnet will release you from your contract without penalty and you may find that if it is indeed a BT infrastructure problem you still have this issue but with a different ISP trying to sort it out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @Diorock4875

Together with our network partners at Openreach, we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
john_tandy
Grafter

i completly understand i am having the same issue with them as well paying for fibre max should be getting  62 mb they predict and am currently getting 48 all they say is try bypassing the master socket an try again but no improvement why we pay for poor service an no explaination on why

Baldrick1

@john_tandy 

Did you leave your router in the the test socket as advised in your other thread? If so did you report a fault as again advised in the other thread?

Moderator and Customer

john_tandy
Grafter

its the same as suggested no change except it now disc of own accord on p.n router so w3ent back to acer which was stable

Diorock4875
Hooked

I have gone through plusnet. I have spoken to them a couple of weeks ago they said they adjusted settings on the router and keep an eye on the speed still the same problem.
No built in filter.
As for the infrastructure why does my next door neighbour who is with plusnet get a constant 55meg? Same length of line going to the same pole to the same cab at the end of the street about 100 feet away we are on the same package?
I wish plusnet would stop making excuses and sort the problem out
Steve

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Diorock4875 

they might be fine because their line from the cabinet is OK, you might have a intermittent fault on your line or interference.

The reason they ask you to try the back of the master socket (i.e. take front cover off and then plug router via the splitter in the master socket) is try and make sure no internal wiring is the issue - i.e. other devices.

I assume you are testing these speeds via an ethernet cable to your router and not Wi-Fi - which PlusNet have no control over.

You could ask PlusNet to do a GEA test.

But do note if you have been regularly resetting your router  then the systems in the exchange that control your line will potentially think there is a fault on the line and force your speed down.

john_tandy
Grafter

well I have ordered a replacement bt master socket as there is many people saying it is that which is the issue .. why did not p.n say that ?

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Diorock4875 

If you haven't already done so, I would first advise having a run through our troubleshooting steps here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and getting your router connected into the test socket for the time being as shown here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the issues then persist, please log a fault here with us: https://faults.plus.net and if you let us know once done, we can investigate further.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@john_tandy 

I was responding to @Diorock4875  not yourself.

Have you followed the fault checking links as just suggested by @tinytaco , if not then do so. If you have an issue report it as suggested via faults.plus.net

You could easily have a different issue to @Diorock4875 

john_tandy
Grafter

well i have ordered a replacement master socket as there has been issues with the new master sockets i will fit this and see if this helps but i can but hope

Baldrick1

@john_tandy 

Problems tend to be with the front section of master sockets. If you still have problems after taking this off and plugging a filter in to the test socket in the back then the master socket is unlikely to be the cause.

Moderator and Customer