Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problem

FIXED
Parsley12
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Speed problem

Upgraded to fibre extra on 1 August but after countless calls to PN an order was finally placed yesterday.  This morning the line cut off and came back again and the speed had gone up to 65ish ( I'm supposed to get between 54-72mbps)  however since then it's dropped back down to around 50ish and the BTW performance test says the IP Profile for the line is 59.66 mbps, should this not be 72 mbps?  Could someone help please.

18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Speed problem

Hi there.

I'm sorry for the issues you've had with your upgrade to fibre extra.

The IP profile of the line doesn't necessarily sit at the very top end of your package, it's an automatic setting to just below the physical sync speed of your connection.

Testing your line is showing your line in sync at 64.7mbps and I can't see any issues with your service. To narrow down where the issue may lie, could you confirm whether your devices are connecting over WiFi or via a wired connection?

If you're using WiFi are you able to try a wired connection? If your speeds are however slow when using a wired connection to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation. Once you have completed this, please could you let us know over here and we'll be happy to check the results.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Parsley12
Dabbler

All the tests I've run have been on a wired connection, I've just completed another BTW speed test and the Further Diagnostics has come out at 55.76mbps and 10.64 which is pretty bad, I was getting a wi-fi speed of 48 mbps on the previous fibre package, I'm within my cooling off period and I've got BT ringing me again tomorrow as they had a deal I was interested in, I've been with PN for years but with all the problems I'm having upgrading I think I might have to have a rethink as this is the 6th day of problems.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for completing the further diagnostics.

It looks like the IP profile is set a little too low which would be restricting your throughput.

Unfortunately neither us nor our suppliers have any manual control over this and as your speeds are within expectations it's probably worth waiting 24 to 48 hours as the IP profile may update itself in due course.

While it's your decision if you want to leave Plusnet and go to BT, to be honest I'd suspect your speeds won't change as it'll likely just be a straight transfer with no engineering work involved on the Openreach network.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Parsley12
Dabbler

I can't see the point in upgrading when I can't get it so I think I'll go back to my previous package.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry if I'm missing something, I can see you've gone from a line speed of 40mbps to 64mbps. Even with a throughput of 55mbps that's a 15mbps increase within the speed estimates of 54mbps to 72mbps we advised.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Parsley12
Dabbler

Unfortunately not I was getting a consistent speed of around 47 - 48 mbps so there is hardly any difference.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've done some digging into this and it looks like you were on the 55/10 product before.

A bit of background into this while not a package we offer, when we stopped providing 40/20 in favour of 40/2 anyone still on that we downgraded/upgraded to 55/10 as a compromise. I suspect that the issue you're experiencing is that a profile somewhere on a back-end supplier system is set at the previous product speed of 55mbps.

Personally I'd leave it a few days as this should hopefully update on its own.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Parsley12
Dabbler

I spoke to PN just now as I was going to ask to downgrade to my previous package, he carried out a load of checks and did a reset but couldn't rectify it so now I've got an engineer coming out on Thursday.  After what you've just said I don't know whether to cancel that and wait and see what happens or let him come out anyway.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update.

If you've got an engineer booked you may as well let it go ahead to be honest as it looks like the IP profile is causing your throughput speeds to go below the expectations/speed estimates of the line.

Hopefully there's something the engineer can do to resolve this for you. Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Parsley12
Dabbler

Well, the engineer's been and reset the DLM (I think that's what he said) and he got a speed of 67 mpbs on Ookla.  However, when I tried it on my laptop and another laptop all I could get was 30-40 mbps on all.  I then got my phone and the engineer got his personal phone, they were side by side, he got a speed of 67 and I got a speed of 33 mbps he had no explanation and couldn't understand it.

Has anyone got any thoughts?Huh

dabow
Rising Star

It's worth doing a hard reset (power off then on ) of your router now. I had a similar condition to yours  and that was the final trigger to fix it.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @Parsley12

The PN hub one router provide WiFi on two different frequencies 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

Some devices / phones only support WiFi on the 2.4 GHz frequencies.

I find that if my phone connects to the 2.4 GHz frequency, the speed tops out at around 30 Mbps.

However, when my phones connects to the 5.8 GHz frequency I get the full speed > 60 Mbps.

The 5.8 GHz WiFi is faster but has a smaller area of coverage, whereas the 2.4 GHz is slower but has larger area of  coverage.

Regards

Richard

dabow
Rising Star

If you do an ethernet connection  it would eliminate any wifi peculiarities and give you the "correct" picture of whats happening.

Parsley12
Dabbler

Have turned router on and off but still only 40 mbps and when I was doing the speed tests it was with and without an ethernet cable but didn't make much difference in fact I even used two different ethernet cables so I'm now at my wits end.  Also both laptops and phone connect at 2.4ghz, it's only the tv stick that's on 5ghz and it's not even turned on.