Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of Plusnet vs BT inc pro ?

Randall8686
Grafter

Speed of Plusnet vs BT inc pro ?

Hi Everyone
First post here, I have done stacks of research on this subject and there seems to be lots and lots of conflicting information. I have recently signed up for plusnet as my isp with the top fibre package. Im currently with BT infinity and its really really good however i need a static i.p hence the change of ISP. Cost is not so important to me TBH (not £10 either way any way) However im getting conflicting information on two things.
The first being i get 73-76mbps all day long every day regardless of time of day etc however plusnet speed guessing tool is showing 53mbps im guessing thats due to it pulling the info from open reach however infinity speed checker says 53-70mbps. is there any reason i would get a slower service from plusnet or am i unlikely to see a change ?
secondly i cannot see if the pro service is worth the extra ? soem say yes some say no some even say they see no difference on new products only Legacy products. Is there actually a hard a fast guide to this ? as the plusnet website offers very little information about what it "actually" does.
I am supposed to be getting the switch over on the 4th of November and i will then have about 5 days left to cancel the service in the 14day cooling off period if my speeds do drop by 20meg. However has any one had any experience of this ?
Appreciate any ones input
J Smiley 
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed of Plusnet vs BT inc pro ?

Speeds won't change - estimates are always very iffy and come from here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
Pro isn't worth it on any of the current products
Randall8686
Grafter

Thanks That is claiming 52-70mbps on my line, 70 is fine but 50 would be a serious drop. Just waiting for the line to change over now.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Randall8686,
I can understand how changing ISPs can feel a little bewildering when comparing speed estimates. I'd always keep in mind that estimates may vary depending on the information available to us when they're generated.
Just let us know if you need us to check on anything for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Randall8686
Grafter

Thanks Adam Smiley
It has taken me a while to take the plunge and change but the Static i.p address is what sold it to me and the fact your customer service does seem a little more efficient than BT however this will only be time that will tell.
Im guessing the distance from the Cab is what gives the speed however being in a 5 year old housing development i guess the cables are still in fairly good condition etc hence a reasonable turn of speed even though its a good few hundred meters to the cab.
The only thing that you could help me on is what does the "pro" actually and i mean actually do on the Fiber extra option ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is the difference http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml - click on the triangle next to Traffic Prioritisation
Essentially it moves all traffic to gold/titanium with the effect that traffic which is not identified correctly is titanium instead of silver but it also means as an example that downloading - which uses all your bandwidth - will severely impact streaming and normal browsing
This is an example from my - albeit very slow - connection http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133509.0.html
Note that all this is specific to your connection and isn't used by Plusnet to restrict speeds etc. unless there are system/capacity problems due to a number of servers dropping out
Randall8686
Grafter

Thanks guys, That seems to have cleared it up a little. I will not add the pro for now and see how it goes. I do host my own game server on a small server i have in the house however bandwidth is not huge
WWWombat
Grafter

You will probably find that speed tests return a result slightly lower on Plusnet, by up to 2%. Around 2 Mbps less when on an 80Mbps sync speed.
This, I think, is largely down to the way in which Plusnet's ellacoya routers (their network routers, not the ones they send the end users) apply their profiling system. I *think* the tiny amount of breathing space helps the traffic prioritisation (for things like VoIP) work better.
Over the 3.5 years I've been connected via fibre (at various speeds), I've been profiled in the standard way but also have had the fortune to be profiled on, essentially, a "no limits" profile. On the latter, i can see higher peak speeds approaching 2 Mbps when synced at 80Mbps.
In real life, you can't tell the difference, of course. It isnt a big deal. It takes a lot of regular, repetitive speed tests to show up.
However, the Ofcom 6-monthly speed reports show pretty much the same scale of difference between BT and Plusnet. I doubt that is a coincidence.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
ghos7em1
Grafter

you dont need pro addon with fibre.if anything it will make your connection worse.
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Since moving from BT fibre to Plusnet my speed tests have gone up by 10Mb and my ping times in game have dropped from 26ms to 13ms in BF4.
sjptd
Grafter

My speeds have dropped on the move from BT to Plusnet, but that is only because I went from an 80/20 package to a 40/20 package.  The underlying (Openreach) connection from me to the cabinet has remained totally unchanged, without even a resync.  Uploads appear fractionally faster, but not clear enough to say reliably.
My pings to bbc have dropped from around 20 to around 12ms.  The extra on BT was their idea that all connections from Winchester should go on the BT network to London via Sheffield.