cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed not increased after switch to fibre

jon
Grafter

Speed not increased after switch to fibre

My line was upgraded to fibre yesterday. I got the email first thing in the morning yesterday. Unfortunately when I checked yesterday evening (and also this morning) it's still at the same speed (about 5mbps) as it was before the fibre upgrade. I asked why on a support ticket but I got a response saying that my line speeds can vary over the first 10 days and that I should only try and troubleshoot it after 10 days. I tried a router reboot but it made no difference.

Does it really take up to 10 days for the line speed to increase? I was expecting it to happen immediately (with perhaps some minor fluctuations over the 10 days).

If I go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it says my current line speed is 4.9Mb and my estimated line speed is 40Mb. I have a new Hub One.

14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Speed not increased after switch to fibre

nip on to the online chat, they just need to update your profile - should be a quick fix Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Just been updated for you.

If you disconnect then reconnect that should do the trick.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Looks like my colleague has picked this up for you. Let me know if there's anything else we can do.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jon
Grafter

Thanks for changing that. I've restarted the router but unfortunately the connection speed still hasn't budged.

I've included the information from the router below.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:  
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:20:50
6. Data rate: 776 / 5684
7. Maximum data rate: 19558 / 5716
8. Noise margin: 6.7 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 29.0 / 51.9
10. Signal attenuation: 29.0 / 49.1
11. Data sent/received: 0.2 MB / 0.1 MB
12. Broadband username:  
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address:  
23. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
24. Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
25. Latency type: Fast
26. Software variant: AA
27. Boot loader: 1.0.0
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

best thing to do it to go to https://faults.plus.net and raise a fault to get the ball rolling.
something amiss Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If you can run through the broadband trouble shooter linked by dvorak I'll be happy to investigate the issue tomorrow for you. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jon
Grafter

Thanks, done.

I couldn't check for noise on my phone line as I don't have a phone! So I just answered as OK to proceed. If you think it's important then I can borrow a phone to try it, but I'm assuming the problem is something to do with the fibre upgrade gone wrong, not to do with the phone line itself.

For the speed tests I've run it 3 times and each time get 4.89 download.

I've also tried running the diagnostics, see attached screenshot. It shows "Max Achievable Speed" as 7.15 which is clearly wrong as it should be around  40.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm having difficulty in finding your account. Please can you PM me your username?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@jon Having tested your line I can see that your fibre upgrade is not yet complete. Our suppliers pushed this back to 18/07/2016 due to engineer availability in your area. Sad I'm sorry about this and I apologise that my colleagues didn't see this earlier.

jon
Grafter

Thanks for looking into this. Do you know whether the engineer has indeed connected my line today? I've not received any messages about it. My line speed is still showing as 4.9 but I've not been home to check the router yet.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The upgrade can happen at any point up to midnight. I can't confirm at the moment as I'm not in the office. Sad If my colleagues don't get to pick this up today I'll look over things first thing tomorrow morning for you. Smiley

jon
Grafter

Thanks for your help, I can confirm that it is now working!

Is there anything you can do to ensure that in future customers are notified when an activation is delayed to avoid this confusion? Also is there anything you can do to make other staff more aware of situations like this; the original response I got in ticket #128931464 incorrectly said fibre had gone live and that I shouldn't raise a speed fault for 10 days. I didn't belive this, hence I posted on this forum but less savy users wouldn't have known to do this.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It's a issue we're aware of and investigating.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesome, I'm happy that your fibre is now online. In regards to your response you received on Ticket 128931464, this was down to agent error. I can only apologise and pass on feed back for you.